TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I did some searching but really didnt find the answer im looking for....While driving my 93 t-bird(v6) everythings stock...the cars shifts fine from 1st to 2nd, but the problem is going into 3rd gear and OD...Sometimes the car will go into 3rd and stay, and sometimes it will shift back in to second, and not go back into 3rd until i slow down and start to accelerate again.Also the car hasnt gone into OD the 170 miles ive had it on the road...Any Ideas???

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Check the fluid level and the TV (kickdown) cable. Make sure it's adjusted properly and that the bushings on it arent shot.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Um.........check what the other guys said.but if that don't fix, then you MAY have a bad MLPS (Manual Lever Positioning Sensor) which tells the tranny what gear you selected. It's not uncommon for those to go out in your year of MN12.

GOOD LUCK

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Higher? Are you crazy? Spec is 33-35 Idling Warm in neutral with a .215 IIRC gauge block installed to hold the cable out.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Um..............in the earlier models, like a '93, it's not totally uncommon for the MLPS to go out. There have been alot of guys that have had a similar problem and it was the MLPS that was bad. Not saying it's the absolute problem, but you can't rule that out either. Normally you only have problems with the cable itself if you disconnected it for one reason or another. Yeah, the TV pressure could cause it, but more than likely it's the MLPS....it just can't be ruled out, especially with the earlier models.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
748 Posts
NOPE !!!!!!!!!!! MLPS= Manual Lever Postioning Sensor. It basically tells the tranny/computer the position on the gear selector. If it goes bad, then it sends an incorect signal to the EEC (computer) which sends an incorrect signal to the tranny as to where the gear selector is at.which can cause problems in shifting.......ESPECIALLY in 3rd gear and 4th gear/'OD

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Slowride said:
NOPE !!!!!!!!!!! MLPS= Manual Lever Postioning Sensor. It basically tells the tranny/computer the position on the gear selector. If it goes bad, then it sends an incorect signal to the EEC (computer) which sends an incorrect signal to the tranny as to where the gear selector is at.which can cause problems in shifting.......ESPECIALLY in 3rd gear and 4th gear/'OD
Sorry, but you are going to have one heck of a time finding an MLPS on a stock 93 bird or cougar. The 93's had an AOD which is not an electrically shifted transmission. The computer doesn't tell the transmission anything. There is a manual lever, but it has no sensor. It doesn't have an MLPS.
This transmission uses a TV cable and the adjustment is critical to operation

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Slowride:

Okay, when I dropped my tranny last year I didn't remove
ANY cables!
And since there aren't any cables going in or out
from the tranny the ECC won't tell the tranny anything..
That's a fact...

However... It may be possible that the shifter has a sensor
that tells the ECC if the is in P/N or D 'cause when I scanned
my 93 T-Bird with my Autoxray the scanner told me to shift into
D and then back...

But believe me... This has nothing to do with the car shifting funny
in third or OD... The tranny is completely mechanical so as far as the
EEC knows it just "feels" that there's some POS trying to slow down the
engine... :D

Perhaps you're thinking of the AODE... ?

//Per

·
Registered
748 Posts
My bad........thinking AODE like the 4R70W . Missed that part.

Peace

1 - 18 of 18 Posts