TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a problem. When I first start the car in the mornings my tranny dosent like to go into drive. It slips in and out till it warms up. But after it warms up it goes right in and doesnt slip at all. I thought about flushing the fluids changing the filter in it. Would that help any at all?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I don't think so. The AOD's are just like that. Mine shifts so smooth it bugs me. Now it is taking too long to shift into Over drive. Well try it. If you do, may I recommend somethings? Get a drain plug and install it into the pan. Then do not use the cork gaskets. Get the rubber ones. Check the bolts holding the rear of the tranny onto the center section. Where the yoke of the driveshaft goes in. Make sure they are tight.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Have you checked the fluid to make sure it is at the correct level? When my trans. cooler line was leaking my AOD would do this once enough fluid leaked out. I just topped it off every now and then and it's fine now that I have the leak fixed.

Jay

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Why yes I do, in my 95 Bird. But I DO have an AOD in my 84 Vic, so that's what I was basing my advice on since I've had that issue before ;)

Jay

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree with FordMan77...

It does sound like low fluid in the AOD. Make sure you have it filled to the "Do Not Overfill" writing stamped onto the dipstick. There was a TSB floating around about that. Check the level with the engine warmed up in neutral. If it shows at the top of the "Full Warm" mark, you are about a pint or so too low. Add until it hits the "D" in Do Not Overfill. That should fix your cold slip...

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
FordMan77 said:
Why yes I do, in my 95 Bird. But I DO have an AOD in my 84 Vic, so that's what I was basing my advice on since I've had that issue before ;)

Jay
OH! Ok then. I didn't know that. Mine is full up to the mark and it still slips. I was wondering if the T.V. cable isn't adjusted correctly, will that cause the tranny to slip?

·
Registered
107 Posts
bad93bird

It could be the TV cable adjustment, but that would cause shift problems even when warmed up. (and it will kill your tranny if set too low)
Typically, if the TV is set loose, the tranny will shift too early (stacked shifts) and if it is too tight it will delay shifting (wind out the RPM's too high before shifting). Sometimes slipping is just a sign that the tranny is worn out.
If you haven't done a fluid change in a while, that would be a good place to start. That will give you a good idea of what your situation is. It could be something as simple as the pickup screen/fluid filter being clogged, or if the fluid is dark and smells burnt, it is time for a rebuild. You might be able to get a few more miles out of a slipping tranny by adding a bottle of Lucas Tranny Stop-Slip, but that is a temporary fix at best (some consider it to be snake-oil, but it won't hurt anything to give it a try).
You may want to check the TV cable anyway. Use the "Zero-Slack" method to set it and see if that makes any difference in the shifting.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Telling someone to use a zero-slack method to adjust an aod tv cable is a bad bad idea. That cable's adjustment directly effects the life of that transmission. If the cable is not properly adjusted and considerably off that life span could be just a few minutes. The only way to adjust an aod cable is with a pressure gauge. 33-35psi idling warm in neutral. You need the gauge block as well to pull the cable out the correct distance.
Alan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Alan, I've been trying to find out the correct dimension of the guage block without much success. Can you let me know this dimension, or how much it pulls out the tv cable? Thanks alot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts