TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through the TCCOA tech articles on transmission, and I came across what appeared to be contradictory statements. So I would appreciate some clarification on this.

Regarding which tranny fluid is recommended for my '94 Cougar, the "transmission fluid article states in the first paragraph,

Ford TSB 98-3-6 recommends complete drain & refill with Mercon V for all AODE/4R70W Transmissions. Any other ATF's could prove fatal for the AODE's, which are used in '94 & newer Tbirds. Mercon V should NOT be used in AOD's in '93 & older Tbirs.

From this, it seems like it's saying that Mercon V is okay for my car. But then I read this in the "Mercon V Specs" article.

'96 and up T-Birds & Cougars with the 4R70W use Mercon V. It can be used in the '94-'95 cars, but it is not recommended by Ford.

So in this article, it would appear that Ford is saying that I can but I shouldn't use Mercon V on my car.

So I put this question out there to you guys. What is the ideal tranny fluid for my car? If not Mercon V, then what is it? TIA guys!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
There are some inconsistencies among the articles, some of which are dated and need to be redone. The OD 101 article is the article to follow above all others. That article states that Mercon V can, and should be used in ALL AODs, AODEs and 4R70Ws... it is safe and will not harm the seals or other parts, it cures TC shudder, and it will extend tranny life. It won't do miracles though... if the tranny is on its way out, no fluid in the world would save it. If anyone says you can't or shouldnt use it, just say ok and take your car elsewhere. have fun :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts