TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...my 97 bird has a wonkly tranny at times....

On the 1-2 shift..

sometimes goes into neutral than overrevs and bangs back into second..wicked hard. Only on wide open runs and just about half way or at the top of first gear.

I changed the mlps and no real change...Now this only does it once in a while, but not nice when she does.

Should I change the 1-2 accumulator, and if so..what all with it..cover, spring?

Any ideas...Thanks

Nitro

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've read about 1-2 accum having broken springs. I think that one can be pulled without pulling the valve body. A slipping one-way clutch might also be doing this. Don't know if the '97 has the old roller sprag, which can slip if overloaded, or the new mechanical diode which has teeth and shouldn't ever slip unless you break it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
here are the part #s if you want them. these part #s come directly from tsb 97-11-11. The accumulator is changed to a steel one instead of aluminum. The springs sometimes break and also the piston may crack. the 0-rings also prematurely wear and can scuff the wall, this will not cause any problems with the new accumulator.
part #s are
top spring F75Z-7F284-AA
bottom spring F3LY-7F284-A
piston/o-ring assembly F7AZ-7F251-AA

it may cost you around $30 dollars plus fluid. I work at a ford dealership so i only paid $20 for my parts but dont quote me.
Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
mine will do the same thing sometimes. I was goin aroudn a corner and I floored it and it shifted into neutral, overrevved then smalled 1st or 2nd. same thing happens if i sometimes do a brake stand. It will torque up, rev it then clunk and spin. Don't know why either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts