TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Formerly known as lfteyechicken
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I have a 97 bird, and the problem resides in the fact that the car doesn't want to shift into second gear, I have to kindof feather the throttle to get it to shift, and then when I slow down or coast to a stop, the car bogs down, and right before I come to a stop the car hits back to normal (when I say hit, the car jerks mildy, not violently back to normal.) I have been told that the clutch plates are welding together and I need a rebuild. I have a mechanic friend that is going to oversee me rebuilding the tranny (Hands on learning) But I need to know what to replace. I was thinking it was the electronic shift mechanism thing, but I was told the clutch plates, any Ideas??? and what parts do I need to get to fix the problem.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
While it's possible the 1-2 accumulator has gone bad, 97s should have had the better one from the factory. So that makes the most likely culprit the roller one-way intermediate clutch. Delayed 1-2 shifts, or shifts into 2nd gear with a jerk or a bang are common. And by the way, clutch plates don't weld together. Run far far away from whoever said that and don't look back. They don't know a clutch plate (or any other various items) from a hole in the ground.

·
Formerly known as lfteyechicken
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so this roller one way clutch thing, is that all I need to replace, what will be involved with replacing that, full rebuild, or what.

·
8,239 Posts
if you aren't going to rebuild it to Jerry's specs then just junk that tranny and put a new model 4r70w in there.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
agreed. :zwthstpd:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts