TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While taking some hard right turns, and some not so hard ones, my tranny slips then suddenly regrips-- kinda like it wanted to downshift but didn't...

My fluid level seems to be perfect. What causes this?

PJ

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
What year T-Bird do you have ?
The 94's and 95's had a tendency to slip when turning right,
under certain conditions. The fix was to install a 96 or newer tranny pan, and filter.
The 96 pan has a deep sump in it. The 98's and up have a drain plug in addition to the sump.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a '94... but this is very strange to me since it never did it before I put the Mercon V in it. I guess I will have to go for the newer pan, but could it be anything else like a bubble in the lines? It's been getting worse.

PJ

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I guess I would double-check the fluid level first.

Do it with the transmission in PARK, engine running, warmed up, and after first placing the shift lever in all gears long enough to allow each gear to engage.

Also, be sure the car is on level ground.

Do not check the fluid level if the car was just run hard, or for an extended period at high speed.

DId you do the MerconV install yourself ? The Shop manual calls for 13.6 qts.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I did it myself. I put 14 qts in there when I reached the middle of the full cold mark. After running the car, hard or easy, it is consistently at the middle of the hot area on the dipstick. I will end-up buying the pan and filter... Since I want the drain plug, should I be asking for a tranny pan off of a '98 automatic Mk VIII? Are the filters on the '96+ the same as the filters on the '98? If anyone has part numbers, that would be helpful.

PJ

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi PJ, if you didn't have the problem before you changed the fluid, maybe the filter is not in place or the old o-ring is still up in the valve body keeping the new filter from seating correctly.

·
Registered
726 Posts
The drain pan is F8UZ-7A194-AA
The '96 filter will work just fine, and it is F6AZ-7A098-A

1 - 7 of 7 Posts