TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've had my T Bird for a year and a half now. I got the tranny serviced at 75,600 and right now it's at 95,500. The tranny slipped about a month ago and everything was fine after that. This morning it slipped twice on the way to work and on the way back it slipped 3 damn times. I check the fluid and it smelled "hot" but didn't smell like it was cooking really bad. I'm gonna get a hold of a mechanic buddy of mine tomorrow and try to get to the bottom if this.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Been there, trying to get out......

In my case the piston in the transmission is stuck and does not get unstuck anymore. Sorry, not a mechanic just an owner operator.

In my case it is a full rebuild of the transmission, or buying a custom transmission from some one. According to the local mechanics, it is cheaper for me to buy a custom built transmission from some one out of state. I get an estimate of $3200 plus parts to rebuild the one I have.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Ok so I've had my T Bird for a year and a half now. I got the tranny serviced at 75,600 and right now it's at 95,500. The tranny slipped about a month ago and everything was fine after that. This morning it slipped twice on the way to work and on the way back it slipped 3 damn times. I check the fluid and it smelled "hot" but didn't smell like it was cooking really bad. I'm gonna get a hold of a mechanic buddy of mine tomorrow and try to get to the bottom if this.
Who did the transmission service?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
In my case the piston in the transmission is stuck and does not get unstuck anymore. Sorry, not a mechanic just an owner operator.
It's not that difficult to replace an accumulator piston yourself. I've done it, and I'm not much of a mechanic. All you need are basic tools, parts and good instructions. A garage helps, but you could do the job in a driveway.

If the cylinder is damaged, you can get a sleeve 'kit'. I didn't need to put in a sleeve. I just used fine sandpaper to 'hone' the cylinder. Knock on wood, it's been running well for about 10 years with the new piston.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts