TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 tbird with a 4.6 the tranny is done it wont even shift into 3rd and i wana put in a 97 mark 8 tranny in it i already have the tranny What do i need to do to make it work thanks guys

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Oops, I edited this because I was a dork and thought you said 98 instead of 97

The 97 transmission will only require that you swap out the TCC solenoid from your 95 transmission. Its a direct swap otherwise.

Darrin

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hey darrin... on a sid enote how hard is it to swap a 01 gt tranny into a 96 cougie? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The 96 has different electronics so you will either have to rewire the car or swap out the internal transmission wiring harness and electronics.

You will have to swap the manual lever.

The GT transmission has an 8 tooth output shaft and the cougar has a 7 tooth. So you need to get the proper speedometer drive gear to correct for that.

Other than that, straight in

Darrin

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there anything else i should do to marks tranny before it goes in

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
is there anything else i should do to marks tranny before it goes in
I guess I don't understand. Is there something that you are worried about being wrong?

The rest of any possible answer would depend on what you are after. I don't have enough info to answer that at all yet.

Darrin

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iv been told something about needing to change the acculators is this right

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also is there a gain to using the marks converter what do marks have for rear ends cause i picked up a mark case

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
To use the MK converter you will need the flexplate off of the MK engine. The converter on those cars is a smaller diameter than the one on your car. It won't bolt up unless you have the proper flexplate. IE, one from a MK, a Mustang or a Marauder. Huh, those all start with an M. Must be something there. LOL

All Mk's have an open rear end and probably have the same gear ratio that you have. The benefit is in weight savings from an all aluminum housing. And that ain't much.

Darrin

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thanks and i do have the flex plate and what gains do i get from useing the marks converter

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
anybody

1 - 13 of 13 Posts