TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been reading all the Articles in "Trans Section" & I have a question; I would like to install a Temp Gauge as outlined in article which mentions a picture of alum. "Manifold" for pipe fittings, but I don't see any picture & can't find it in Auto Stores - can anyone help me here?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I suspect it is something like/exactly like this (I have not added a temp gauge, and I haven't added one in line with the cooler specifically either)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2287

40-50 bucks, wow, but I just spent 200 bucks on JMod/Sonnax parts to update my 97 Mark VIII, I am going to steal the cooler from my wrecked 97 Cougar, and I haven't even bought 14 quarts of Mercon V yet! My Temp Sender in the transmission seems to be bad, throwing a code, replacing it, and will use an OBD reader to get temps when/if I want to.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I made a transmission temp adapter using parts from my local hardware store. This adapter sat just before my ATF cooler.

It was made out of a Tee brass pipe fitting and two male barb fittings. The barb fittings connected to the ATF cooler hoses and the temp gauge screwed into a female-female adapter on the third leg of the tee fitting.

I then braized all the points where the fittings joined each other.

NOTE: temp senders need a ground so I needed to run a grounding wire to the tee in addition to running a temp sender wire.

-g

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Transmission Temperature Gauge

There's a few places you can mount the temp sender when installing a Transmission Temperature Gauge..

Everyone has their preferred location, and why it might be better than another location..

If I was going to install a temp sender for a 4R70W equipped MN12..

I would install it in the "Line Pressure Test Port"..Which is located on the driver side of the transmission case about 3" above the pan..

This Test Port uses a 1/8" NPT..

By the way...You only need the "Manifold"..If you decide to splice into the Transmission Cooler Lines..

:thumbsup:

Rayo..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts