TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hooked up a tranny temp gauge in my car today. I tapped pin 37 on the ecu which is the stock tranny sensor wire that leds to the ecu.....Now all of a sudden it is my od light is flashing. The only thing i can think of is the gauge is feeding some kinda voltage into that line and messing up the what the ecu is reading. could I put a diode on the sensor wire running to the gauge so no power would run back down the line?....I know if worst comes to worst I could tap the pan, but i wanted to see if i could do it the easy way first...any suggestions?

-Derrick-

·
W&S Motorsports
161 Posts
You just cannot tap into a NTC sensor like that and hang a gauge on it. If you add 12V to the gauge you could blow up the EEC. You may want to look into an AutoTap and get the reading from the EEC after it processes it by doing a PID request. The W&S Info Panel is another way to go without having to drill the pan or break into the fluid cooler lines.
http://members.tccoa.com/winston/FordInfoPanel/Box 2 - 02 sm.jpg[/URL]

The "TOT" which stands for Tranmission Oil Temperature reading is what you are interested in at the moment.
w.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i was pretty sure i couldn't just hook it up and go like that....But would a diode possibly work? Diodes only let voltage flow one way so no voltage would not be able to reach the ECU and fry it!!! yet it will let the signal flow to the gauge for reading!

-just wanted to know if that would be out of the question-?

-Derrick-

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Do you have the mechanical or electrical gauge? You need the mechanical with the sending unit. I have one for sale if you are interested. It's very simple to hookup, but you do have to set it up inline like Winston stated. No need to tap the pan tho, and no need to cut the lines.

That's a picture of how my cooler was setup. I didnt get pics before I removed it, but I put the sending unit into the stock cooler in the radiator, and fed the return line into it.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
What are you talking about. Electrical gauges have sending units not mechanical.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
timb said:
What are you talking about. Electrical gauges have sending units not mechanical.
Chill. I made a mistake.

I meant you need an Electrical Tranny Gauge, with the Electrical sending unit. I have one from autometer with all the correct fittings and I also have a Carbon Fiber Autometer Trans Gauge, if you are interested.

http://hp.autometer.com/products/carbon_fiber/electric_gauges/electric_gauges.html

I changed to a different setup, and I don't need these anymore. Everything functions perfectly and the bulb is still good for the backlight.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Chilled :D
I wasn't concerned about you knowing what you were talking about as much as I was him not understanding since he tapped the EEC for an autometer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts