TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys i was sitting here and i might be getting an 01 tranny in a month or 2 and i was curious would the tranny fit in the back of my cougar?? Just curious because i dont have access to a truck and the salvage yard is about 20 miles awayi would just rather pick it up myself and also how heavy are they with out a TC?
thanks
Matt

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
you might be able to get it to fit in the trunk...as for getting it closed, i think that it wouldn't be a real big deal since it's only like 20 miles. never tried it though

joe

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
without a TC, two people should have no problem moving it around. With a TC, it'll be a b**** but still doable.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just used my Wife's 04 Eddie Bauer Explorer to bring mine home 45 miles away. Talk about being careful --try putting a dirty tranny in a $38,000 vehicle. Praying the converter didnt fall out. whew glad it was ok. no mishaps but I lifted my AODE out of the Back by myself with Converter but I'm not a small guy. I lift heavier stuff all time. got it on ground and took converter out to move into garage. but its pretty heavy. unless your a big guy you shouldnt attempt IMHO. even if you are you should use help if its available(I had to because no one was around and my wife had to work in Morning.AODE is one of the heaviest Tranny's Ford has put in a Passenger Car. Not sure of weight though.anyone who has shipped one should knowexact weight.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Bring a long 9/16th wrench and a bolt about 3 inches long, and matching nut.

slide the bolt through the bellhousing and through the box-end of the wrench. Tighten it so the wrench extends over the torque converter. This will keep it in.

it will probably not fit in the trunk...dont know how wide a cougar trunk is though(front to rear) and whether a 4R70W will fit sideways.

Go rent a truck for $19.99 a day + gas...well wroth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya i'm a big guy i lift heavy crap all the time. :) Thanks guys i would just rather get the unit myself and not have to pay for shipping

matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts