TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under any conditions, first gear whines (pitch increases with RPM), all other gears quiet. Is this to be expected? I have never driven another 'Bird, or any other MN12 car for that matter. This car has made this sound since the day I test drove it.

I drained and replaced the transmission fluid about 2 months ago, changed the filter, torqued throttle body bolts, made zero difference. No material found in fluid; fluid smelled okay and was still red.

Back in the day I had a '77 Concours (Nova with extra trim), and it had a similar whine. Never had a problem with the tranny in that thing.

Let it be known that I did search and read through many many threads, but no mention of this sound.

:confused: Is it normal and I should chill, or is it hosed and I should freak?

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
when I had my 4r70w, I held it in 1st manually all the time....never heard a whine.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Getting into semantics here but a Whine is one thing... a HOWL another...

·
Registered
332 Posts
I get a slight whine from mine in first as well... Have been for a few years now. It's more prominent when manualy in 1st.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 95 Cougar whines when I hold it in first manually but all the other gears are quiet. I really don't think it's a problem but that's my opinion.:ssalute:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Whine

Mine whines when manually held in 1st; not obnoxiously loud, but you can hear it. I always figured it was normal...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine whines when put in manual 1st. It became much loader when I rebuilt the trans and upgraded the one-way clutch to a mechanical diode. I also always thought it was normal.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
maybe thats why my old tranny was such crap!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts