TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started my car and put it into gear nothing happened, it feels as though the shifter has disconnected from the tranny somehow. You still have to have the car on and push the brake to move the shifter but nothing happens. I really need to know what is wrong with it so I can try to fix it tomorrow. I would appreciate any info. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
My first thought would be to check the fluid level first. If it is OK,
then I would suspect the Transmission Range Sensor, otherwise known as the MLPS sensor, also referred to as the Neutral Safety Switch.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think that the fluid is the problem or the MLPS, though I may be wrong. The shifter just moves freely and does leave park, so really I should have asked if there is some sort of cable that goes from the shifter to the tranny that may have broken or come loose.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Well, I just posted what the Shop Manual listed as possible causes.

SHIFT CONCERNS: SOME OR ALL SHIFTS MISSING

1. Electrical

Powertrain Control System

2. Hydraulic/Mechanical

Fluid -improper level or condition

Shift Linkage, TR Sensor

If you think there is something wrong with the Shift Lever, why don't you get a flashlight out and go check it ?
I would have guessed that you would have checked that , plus the fluid, before posting your question.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't sure, and I haven't really had a chance to look at it b/c it is sitting in the Wal-Mart parking lot. And I was kind of mad that my manual doesn't have a troubleshooting section.

Thanks :) for your input and I will check all of that tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
does it click into place when you try to move the shifter? my first guess is MLPS, the part acts weird when whether changes, especially when there is moisture in the air.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah it clicks into place but thats all it does.

Also I called Advance Auto earlier today and they said that a Neutral Safety Switch was $12 should I get that or go to Ford or somewhere else if that is the problem?

·
Registered
855 Posts
not any ford place around here. lol. i changed out my MLPS before rebuilding my tranny and it was around $85. this included the new harness, so i'm not sure whether or not the mlps by itself (if sold ) is significantly cheaper.......

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I will try it.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like the shift cable is broken or has fell off. The MLPS is not going to cause a no engagement. With the sensor completely disconnected you will still have first and reverse gear.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
KENNETHL6 said:
Sounds like the shift cable is broken or has fell off. The MLPS is not going to cause a no engagement. With the sensor completely disconnected you will still have first and reverse gear.
i thought failsafe was neutral

·
Registered
48 Posts
The MLPS is there to send a signal to the processor that it's in drive (sets up trans for normal upshifts), manual 1st. (pressure boost for first gear load), reverse (also pressure boost) and so on. Understand when you put the shifter in reverse or any of the forward ranges, hydraulically the forward clutch or reverse clutch is engaged giving at least first or reverse. In fact if you disconnect the MLPS and the connector going to the solenoid set you still have reverse, manual 1st, manual 2nd and in drive range it will be stuck in 2nd and line pressure full high (all solenoids off give you 2nd gear and full line pressure). When people drive with a bad MLPS they find that at cruise the trans feels like it's going from drive to neutral when what is really happening is the solenoids is changing to 2nd or 1st gear with no engine braking, which feels like neutral. Besides all of this, BSR said the shifter felt loose which leads me to think the cable is off so BSR, your just need to take a look a see.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Turns out it was the shift linkage. Thanks for everyones input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts