TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

i put the post up before about how many miles the 4.6's are lasting. i got one other question about the 4.6's? are there are other major repairs that peole have been making. one post said something about the transmission? are alot of people experienceing problems with them? right now i have a 1990 cougar 3.8 V6 and i wanna upgrade to a newer cougar and v8, i wanna know what i am instore for

thanks to everyone who posted on the other thread!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Don't quote me on it. But I think that the acuumulators have problems. I think they were corrected in '97 though, may have been '98. Just get a 4R70W from a MK VIII. ;)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Johnny Langton said:
Most compainies don't offer a "kit" for performance 4R70W rebuild,but they do offer the clutch plates and steels in the performance varieties for the trans.You're gonna need the mechanial diode,and the reverse drum that mates to it if you really want that '94 trans to live,as well as a better valve body/main control.The '94 valve body is really bad,and is a potential area for failure later.
Here's what you're gonna want to get for a rebuild:
Overhaul kit(includes seal rings,gaskets,O-rings,lip seals,seals for the front pump/ext housing,and the manual lever)
Clutch plates
Steel plates
New 5.4L truck EPC solenoid
New short reverse servo
New light-load OD servo spring
New 2.7" OD servo
Brown upper 1-2 accummulator spring
New 1-2 accumulator piston
New 2-3 accumulator piston
New reverse band
New OD band(DO NOT get a Kevlar band)
I'm gettting a total of approx $350
by ordering the parts fro Bulkpart.
and another $100 for fluid and the few items that you have to get from Ford.
If you want a new Valve body,then add about $300 for that.
Another otion is to fina a '98 GT trans and rebuild it..you save $$ because it already has the mech diode and the reverse drum(about $150) and you already have the internal harness ready for the higher pressure EPC solenoid.And the valve body is better on the '98 as well($300 saved)
JL
SORRY MODERATOR

·
Registered
501 Posts
you can put any 4r70w transmission in your car granted that it came from a mustang t-bird,or a f-150,e-150,etc. thanks for the extra tips KD,just look in the tranny tech article for installation process "triton" you can save a grip of money just buying a used truck 4r70w they have low miles and have all the upgraded parts , someone
told me"KD"that the truck valve body is good but not as good as the 99 mustang valve body.
tom

·
Registered
285 Posts
Try and find a 96' or 97' they have the better intake and heads.
there is a problem though, the plastic intake cracks just behind the alt...
there is a factory recall for replacement I think up to 70,000 miles.
You can do a PI head & intake swap and unlock some HP.

The trans has some problems, converter shudder is the worst. You should read the tranny tech... articles. You can fix the trans... your self if you can work with tools.
The "MOD", replacing the accumulators and drilling the seperator plate, install a good trans... cooler {B&M} makes a good one and swapping in a markVIII torque converter and you should be in good shape.:thumbsup:

Fuel man~~~

Oh, and for miles hell we got guys here with well over 100,000miles. Johnny Langton has over 200,000 miles on his engine and he races his hard:cbones:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts