TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow TCCoA'ers

I had a question to ask about installing a trans cooler. I purchased a B&M transmission cooler. (P/N 70264; SuperCooler 24,000 GVW 11"x6"x1-1/2")

I removed the driver's side tire and found the mounting area for Super Coupe foglights. Using the mounting brackets, nuts, etc., I installed the trans cooler. The little 'nipple' like things are facing DOWN.

Now here's where the problem is. I know some people splice the hard line and some don't. My friend and I tried to remove the upper transmission line (to radiator)....it wouldn't come off. I think the ending is partially stripped. I know when we tried it the last time, the WHOLE LINE kind of turned...visibly, you can see the end of it, where it connects to the radiator, is a bit torqued. It is not pinched or anything like that; fluid still flows through fine (I think/hope).

I am just confused at this point what to do. Do I try to get the top line off the radiator? Do I try to cut through the hardline (with a sawsall?)?

I purchased some extra transmission line (6 ft or so from Checker Auto Parts). What kind of fittings (barbed, clamping, etc.) should I be looking for. I've been trying to follow the transmission articles and am confused at the best way to do this and the PROPER fittings (if I splice, etc.).

hopefully this all makes sense. Any help would GREATLY be appreciated. Taking a break from my Tbird tomorrow. Going to help replace the clutch on a '95 Cobra tomorrow. :D

again, any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for your time.

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
Um.. don't use a sawsall.. go buy a hard line cutter. It's like a clamp with a round blade in it. You put it on the line tighten it a bit, spin it around the line a few times, tighten, spin, tighten, spin....

They are pretty cheap and won't get metal shavings everywhere or crush the pipe.

·
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ShadowDragon said:
Um.. don't use a sawsall.. go buy a hard line cutter. It's like a clamp with a round blade in it. You put it on the line tighten it a bit, spin it around the line a few times, tighten, spin, tighten, spin....

They are pretty cheap and won't get metal shavings everywhere or crush the pipe.
OK, so screw the sawsall...i figured that would be a bad idea...but sometimes being an idiot gets good responses (the HOLY GOD response). :D

So I figure i need to go to like checker, autozone, pep boys, and look for a hard line cutter.

So what about the compression fittings and what not. I tried hitting Home Depot...but the only 15/16" barb fitting i could find was a stupid plastic one....i probably was looking for the wrong thing..

anyway, so what kind of fittings do i need to find? T-style with compression fittings or what?

thanks for your help

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
The cutter I was talking about.

http://www.pollardwater.com/emarket/pages/R40617cutter.asp

As for the fittings I used brass ones that were machined down to the right size. I know you can get some pre made from home depot/lowes etc.. just don't know the exact size off of the top of my head

·
Registered
726 Posts
You can get the cutter at menards-type places (home depot, ace hardware, etc)

For the fittings, i was able to to unscrew the second fitting(see below for what i mean), and place the male barbed fitting (smaller one) that came with the b&m kit in its place. It fit fine, and worked fine. You will have to cut the hardline anyway to connect the return line from the aux. cooler, but you knew that :D

radiator---first fitting (large)---second fitting(smaller)---hardline

·
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WhiteBird101 said:
You can get the cutter at menards-type places (home depot, ace hardware, etc)

For the fittings, i was able to to unscrew the second fitting(see below for what i mean), and place the male barbed fitting (smaller one) that came with the b&m kit in its place. It fit fine, and worked fine. You will have to cut the hardline anyway to connect the return line from the aux. cooler, but you knew that :D

radiator---first fitting (large)---second fitting(smaller)---hardline
thanks for your help guys.

I didnt get a chance to mess with my cooler today. Didnt do a clutch change either. I ended up sanding down and painting '99 GT rims for a friend of mine. I mean...i dont snort paint on purpose or nothing...but wow....that really messed me up.

I'll try to take a picture w/ my little crappy (free!) digital camera of the top line. I THINK the line's ok. If it's crimped or something....what should i do? Hit a salvage yard for a line or call up DanN @ 5star? Having MASSIVE problems finding the fittings around here. Local home depot's dont have anything useful for our purpose. Pep Boys/autozone/checker (suckiest of all three today)....none of them had what we needed.

I'll try to post some pics later tomorrow...if i can figure out how to upload the pic to the post.

thanks for your help guys. :D

take care!

·
Premium Member
8,239 Posts
if you want to bandaid it just to temporarily drive the car get some rubber trans cooler line, and double clamp it to the hardline so you can drive the car. You need a hardline cutter through to cut the twisted hardline.

Eventually down the road you are going to have to get some new line, and bend it yourself. Ford does not sell prebent hardline.

JH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts