TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of you that have external trans coolers installed can you tell me where you installed it at? If you like where you have it or if you would move it where you would put it? What I'm really looking for is the best place to install the trans cooler. And easiest, I guess, considering I'm installing it an apartment complex.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
88 Posts
I been wanting to do one on my 93 5.0 since Ive got it and since its now summer I need to do it, but Im not a great mechanic at all is this not to bad to do? I can take it to Uhual and get it done too but Id rather save $, but also I dont wanna waste my weekend causing and screming at my car either.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
And here is mine . And it works great:)
How much of a temp drop have you seen with it mounted like that? I'm seriously considering getting one for mine eventually.

·
Super Moderator
9,303 Posts
The hardest part will be getting the lines out of the radiator, at least that's where I spent the majority of the time when I installed mine.

Here's a [terrible] pic I snapped a couple years ago:

Couple more in the thread... http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=127420

It's pretty small, but for a stock or near stock application I think it fits the bill nicely. The temps are usually around 100 degrees over ambient air temperature; I've never seen it go over 190. I didn't have my XCal until after the installation though, so I don't know what kind of difference it made over stock. Perhaps someone else can chime in with stock temperatures.

·
Super Moderator
9,303 Posts
Oh, NOW he tells me... :tongue:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
The hardest part will be getting the lines out of the radiator, at least that's where I spent the majority of the time when I installed mine.

Here's a [terrible] pic I snapped a couple years ago:

Couple more in the thread... http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=127420

It's pretty small, but for a stock or near stock application I think it fits the bill nicely. The temps are usually around 100 degrees over ambient air temperature; I've never seen it go over 190. I didn't have my XCal until after the installation though, so I don't know what kind of difference it made over stock. Perhaps someone else can chime in with stock temperatures.
That looks real similar to my cooler....I have a hayden 30k GVWR that I bought from NAPA auto parts...before the cooler, my trans temps where pretty much the same as my coolant temps. AFter the installation of the cooler, my trans temps where similar to what was described above, never above 190 (and it has to be VERY VERY hot out to make those kinds of temps happen) overall it's 50+ degrees below the coolant temp, for the most part. Cooler and J-mod where done one year ago this coming Wednesday....so, a year later and all is good, I highly recommend both. I am due for a trans fluid flush...

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Michael it stays around 165 to 175 and at the track it has never gotten over 180. So she is good to go ;)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The heat is a building issue. You can run it hard for short times and it won't get that hot. I usually level out at 185 with my 45000 Tru Cool Max and aluminum finned pan after about 3 hours running 80 mph with the AC on in this 95 degree heat. I have no radiator cooler though, only stand alone cooler and it is on front of the AC condensor like Vics.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Michael it stays around 165 to 175 and at the track it has never gotten over 180. So she is good to go ;)
Is that being ran stand-alone, or is it being used with the factory trans cooler too?

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Is that being ran stand-alone, or is it being used with the factory trans cooler too?
Robert can answer that question better that I. But I believe it is going thru both that is the best way from what I understand .

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Is this for the car you bought from Melon? Doesn't it already have a cooler on it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts