TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
You could always run a cooler underneath the car with it's own fan. Sounds like some guys used these for engine oil coolers too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You could always run a cooler underneath the car with it's own fan. Sounds like some guys used these for engine oil coolers too.

Working out some kinks in my 66 project. I'm running a 331 stroker with holley sniper efi. Air conditioning w/ 02 4r70w and US shift Quick 4 (FTI 2400 street brawler lockup converter).

Finally got the car together after a few months, and I've got a couple bugs that need addressing. One of them is the overall temp of the motor when running on hot days.

It's been in the 90s with alot of humidity. I watched my motor temp reach up near 220 while stuck in traffic for about 15 min with the AC on. I'm running a 3 core champion radiator (OEM size for 66 mustang) with a spal electric fan with the trans plumbed through 6an braied lines attached to the bottom ports on the radiator.

Today when the temps started to climb, I noticed the trans temp hit up around 201. This is light cruising around. Not getting on it at all as I'm still breaking in the motor/build.

So, I had a few questions.
1. Will a trans cooler help reduce the radiator temp if I plumb it after the rad on it's way back to the trans? I would assume, yes but not much. And may gain more reduction in temp with item 2 below.
2. Can I skip the radiator all together? Car won't really be driven except for "Better weather". I plan to drive it alot, but just not in the dead of the winter. (Live near St Louis MO area in the Midwest)
3. What size trans coolor should I work on finding a home for in my 66 with either of the above scenarios? (IE with radiator, without radiator)
4. I can only mount either right in front of the AC condensor, or behind the front apron (no direct air flow down there).
The problem with running the cooler in front of the radiator is you will be adding that heat to the radiator like it was doing with the tranny fluid running through the radiator. I agree with ZEP5.0 if you can find a spot to place a cooler with a separate fan that would keep the heat out of the radiator. I have a 62 Ranchero so have room behind my fuel tank and ran a cooler there with a separate fan. I still don't think I have enough cooling though and will be installing a larger cooler. I do think some of the trans heating issues at idle in stopped traffic are in my case from the exhaust being right next to the transmission pan. You might have a similar problem in your mustang.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I actually called up Derale, and they reccomended the 13401 cooler as adequate. I decided to go ahead and purchase the 13402 cooler, mounted offset in front of the AC condenser. Made a bracket for the bottom, and still need to make a bracket for the top. It has reduced my engine temperature and significantly dropped my transmission temperature. I'm staying around 175 even on the hottest of days doing hard driving on the trans.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
In a perfect world, the condenser will always get "first air". That maximizes your A/C performance. But other configurations can be made to work with enough airflow. I have my trans cooler and intercooler cores stacked horizontally in front of the condenser, with a 14" pusher fan overlapping both and blowing into the rest of the cooling pack.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts