TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading through the posts and cannot seem to find a definate answer. Regarding the jmod I see that some are adding a trans cooler when they do the mod. Is this is necessity or done out of convenience since the fluid is drained during the mod process? I am not sure how the jmod affects the trans temperatures from stock.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this matter.

regards,
Jim

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It isn't "required" but it is highly recommended since heat is the transmission killer, and while you have all sorts of bits out of the tranny, what better time to install a cooler if you don't have one already. I was going to install a cooler first fluid change, and that became the J-MOD time too. There is nothing about the JMOD that increases heat or causes a cooler to be required when it didn't need one prior.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I kind of figured it was "required". I will most likely skip that part for now since it should be fairly simple to add in later if I decide i want/need one.

That 's a 10-4 on the Mercon V, already have that waiting for the mod.

Thanks agian.
Jim

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
well there is a stock cooler already built into the radiator but i added a hayden aslo.If you call 913-438-4884 ask for phil.we sell the hayden's where i work very cheap. Tell phil jason said for ya to call .It's called automotive cooling product's

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Agreed on the necessity of a transmission cooler....it's pretty much a must, unless you live in Alaska or something.

And the "cooler" in the radiator is a joke (tiny).

-Rod

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
And think about how much "cooler" the one in the radiator is going to make it. You don't want to be much over 180F for optimal life and the coolant in the radiator doing the "cooling" to your tranny fluid is usualy running hotter than 200F.
That thing in thre isn't doing nearly enough. You NEED a cooler.
Darrin

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the replies, I am thinking that I will be adding a cooler :D

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts