TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I have a leak at the trans dipstick. I picked up the O-ring, cleaned the trans body around the dipstick and read that it is as easy as removing the bolt, pull the dipstick tube out, etc.
Can anyone tell me what size that bolt head is? And any suggestions on how in the world to get a wrench on it?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The bolt is 10mm. I can get my 14" ratchet & a ratcheting box wrench on there, but not enough leverage to break the bolt loose. I'm going up from the bottom, I can get an arm up there on each side of the cat, just not enough. I don't see any way to reach the bolt from above.
I'm thinking the next step is to drop the exhaust to give me some more room.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,787 Posts
I've done plenty of them from the bottom can you use a 1/4" rachet and maybe a small pipe on the end for leverage? If not before you drop the exhaust remove the passenger side of the cowl and you may be able to get it from above.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JP, I don't think I've ever seen those before. More tools I need. LOL. I have a u-joint, but it's 1/2" and not sure that will fit in the space any better. I'll get back under there with more tool options and try to figure it out. Thanks.

·
SuperNewbie
3,787 Posts
JP, I don't think I've ever seen those before. More tools I need. LOL. I have a u-joint, but it's 1/2" and not sure that will fit in the space any better. I'll get back under there with more tool options and try to figure it out. Thanks.
Even autozone sells a 10mm socket like that. Don't have to spend a ton.

·
Registered
97 Tbird Sport
48 Posts
Oh that bolt is a PITA no joke. The only way I was able to get it off is to disconnect the heater core hoses. Then only a 10mm gear wrench and a wheelbarrow load of cussing was I able to get it out. I had to reach in and hold the wrench head on the bolt and break it loose. It will only turn ever so little but once it breaks loose it usually ratchets a little at a time. Must be patient cause some dingaling engineer put in a bolt twice as long as necessary. It gets tight against firewall and ultimately 2 fingers gets it out. I never was able to remove the tube thru the top. That damn industrial bracket doesn't flex either. Be warned that the typical o-ring variety set from harbor freight didn't have the best fitting choices. I made one fit and added some Grey silicone for good measure and it still leaked just not as bad. I swore case was cracked but a couple months ago I had Trans rebuilt and shop said they had to go to parts store and get one because the one in kit was not sealing. I want to say it is 1" OD but I wasn't the one who stopped the leak. I was glad to know the Pros have issues too. Good luck as it cost me close to $60 in mercon V and a forever stained driveway and still only slowed it down.

Reactions: GreenT

·
Registered
97 Tbird Sport
48 Posts
One more thing, I did mine after driving up on ramps so bottom access to anything was limited to reaching up enough to pull the tube in place after new o-ring and rtv. I didn't enjoy any of it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the driveway stain also, not sure how much it cost me in Mercon V, but probably close to you.
I need to replace the intake manifold now, so hopefully that will give me a little more access. We'll see.

·
SuperNewbie
3,787 Posts
I have the driveway stain also, not sure how much it cost me in Mercon V, but probably close to you.
I need to replace the intake manifold now, so hopefully that will give me a little more access. We'll see.
If you are removing the intake anyway, then remove the wiper cowl on the passenger side and you should have enough room to get at it.

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Intake manifold, yikes! The biggest pain is the mismatch of the PI manifold to the NPI heads. I used Permatex in all the spots I was supposed to, but recently found the #8 plug well full of coolant. I dried it out, and it has not returned. Maybe it leaked only in the cold weather?

The other fun part is the retrofitting of the new coolant pipe, and removing the nipple from the water pump. I used heat and a big hammer, though I had to straighten it out a couple times by pushing a big punch down the center and pulling up, which ultimately was what broke it loose.

LMK if you need help with it.

Al

• Haha
Reactions: Darin10

·
Registered
196 Posts
To remove the water pump nipple, after the water pump and intake manifold are removed, I used a 1/2 inch drive socket in whatever size fit best over the nipple. 2-3 good whacks with a ball peen hammer and it popped right out. Drive it from the valley through to the front of the engine. I have done three, and learned as I went.
This was the easiest way for me.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I also used a socket, a torch, and CRC freeze off penetrating oil. It still took a couple hrs. That nipple wants to bend, despite your best efforts. That thing is frozen in place after 25 years, even if it's not rusty.

Al

Reactions: Darin10

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
665 Posts
I didn't have a torch. I had to use a hacksaw with a small handle to let the mushed end pass through. I used a socket and it didn't matter. Also used rust penetration as well. I soaked it good too.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With the intake, water pump bypass tube & DPFE sensor bracket removed it was a little easier to get a wrench in from the top and break the bolt loose. There was a considerable amount of tranny fluid that spilled out when I removed the tube, which surprised me. I'll top off the tranny once I get everything else back together.

·
SuperNewbie
3,787 Posts
With the intake, water pump bypass tube & DPFE sensor bracket removed it was a little easier to get a wrench in from the top and break the bolt loose. There was a considerable amount of tranny fluid that spilled out when I removed the tube, which surprised me. I'll top off the tranny once I get everything else back together.
That's normal. Typically when I do these I jack up the passenger side really high. But you are past that now.

Reactions: Rodeo Joe

·
Registered
Ford Lincoln Mercury
351 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts