TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The coyote equipped F150s have a +/- push button on the shifter handle. Upshift/downshift as you please. Just gotta wire it up somewhere convenient and you're done. And of course, the F150 pcm can control the 6sp auto trans.
Yeah, but thats no fun... :tongue:

Also it doesnt really happen immediately on most of the manually controllable automatics I have driven...

Give me three pedals. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I would get my stuff used from an auto GT! Gotta love the auto trans. I dont mind ripping some gears though :)
I dunno, personally if I am going to be putting 400+ HP to the wheels I am going to want to row my own gears.

·
Super Moderator
17,139 Posts
Yeah, but thats no fun... :tongue:

Also it doesnt really happen immediately on most of the manually controllable automatics I have driven...

Give me three pedals. :tongue:
Still faster than any living mammal will shift a manual:D

Plus (speculation) the delay could probably be worked out in the tune.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still faster than any living mammal will shift a manual:D

Plus (speculation) the delay could probably be worked out in the tune.
Nope, a DSG (automated manual) is faster than a human, but no torque converter automatic can shift faster than me. I drove an e350 coupe not too long ago, the gear changes are slow as hell with the paddles or with the shifter. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,139 Posts
Sorry but...

There's a reason Autos are chosen over Manuals in drag racing. The simple fact is they shift faster, it doesn't matter if it's a slushbox or a DSG. DSGs advantage is it's efficiency from not using a converter and launch control capabilities.

Plus as I said, there are likely parameters in the tune that can be changed to shorten the delay the factory puts in for NVH, economy or emissions reasons

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry but...

There's a reason Autos are chosen over Manuals in drag racing. The simple fact is they shift faster, it doesn't matter if it's a slushbox or a DSG. DSGs advantage is it's efficiency from not using a converter and launch control capabilities.

Plus as I said, there are likely parameters in the tune that can be changed to shorten the delay the factory puts in for NVH, economy or emissions reasons

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
You cant see the clutch pedal. If you were to actually time it, from the instant the clutch pedal starts to go in, all the way to when the clutch pedal returns to fully lifted, and compare it to what a proprly set-up automatic can do, you'd be surprised.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You cant see the clutch pedal. If you were to actually time it, from the instant the clutch pedal starts to go in, all the way to when the clutch pedal returns to fully lifted, and compare it to what a proprly set-up automatic can do, you'd be surprised.
Honestly I dont really care, I prefer driving a manual. And besides, with a manual I can hold whatever gear I choose and downshift at will without waiting for the autos computer to downshift. At least my automatic has a TV cable so there's less of a delay.

Needless to say my AOD will be replaced by an M5R2 in my Thunderbird shortly.

·
Super Moderator
17,139 Posts
Honestly I dont really care, I prefer driving a manual. And besides, with a manual I can hold whatever gear I choose and downshift at will without waiting for the autos computer to downshift. At least my automatic has a TV cable so there's less of a delay.

Needless to say my AOD will be replaced by an M5R2 in my Thunderbird shortly.
Again, any delay can be shortened in the tune. The computer is faster than a mechanical device.

I'm only arguing because blatant false statements are being made, the facts are the facts. I don't even like autos! lol

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, any delay can be shortened in the tune. The computer is faster than a mechanical device.

I'm only arguing because blatant false statements are being made, the facts are the facts. I don't even like autos! lol
On downshifts? I want it to downshift whenever I want it to, to whatever gear I want it to at that particular time... I cant make a torque converter automatic do that. :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
17,139 Posts
If I moved the shifter from D to 2 or 2 to 1 the downshift happens virtually instantaneous. If I'm in drive and I'm braking into a turn in 3rd, I come out of the turn in 1st or 2nd depending on speed automatically.

All I have to do is look at the datalogs and look at what gear is commanded by the PCM and how long the trans shifts, and it's faster than the clutch shattering video you posted :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It shouldn't be hard to do a Coyote swap. It is basically a 4.6 bored out to a 5.0. :rolleyes:

LOL, I actually had somebody try to tell me this the other day. Tried to explain how the motor is a whole new beast with new heads, intake, variable cam timing, blah blah blah but it went completely over his head.

I finally left the conversation after he said that he had a motor out of a 93' CV and that he was going to buy the 5.0 stroker kit for it to achieve the same results as the new coyote.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
On downshifts? I want it to downshift whenever I want it to, to whatever gear I want it to at that particular time... I cant make a torque converter automatic do that. :tongue:
... why do you think we leave out the springs on the accumulators and drill holes for the JMOD ? Yes you can. Even better on the electronic version. Your AOD TV "cable" controls a hydraulic Shift valve that has to overcome the Governor pressure resulting in your downshift. :rolleyes: ALL Automatics have Torque converers by the way, unless your car is out of the 1950's.

And the only downshift you would reasonably want is from 3 to 2 ... why go to 1st gear if youre not starting out in it ? I never do that especially with the 5 speed.

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
... why do you think we leave out the springs on the accumulators and drill holes for the JMOD ? Yes you can. Even better on the electronic version. Your AOD TV "cable" controls a hydraulic Shift valve that has to overcome the Governor pressure resulting in your downshift. :rolleyes: ALL Automatics have Torque converers by the way, unless your car is out of the 1950's.

And the only downshift you would reasonably want is from 3 to 2 ... why go to 1st gear if youre not starting out in it ? I never do that especially with the 5 speed.
DSGs dont have torque converters, neither do CVTs, both of which are automatic transmissions.

I dont like when my left foot and right hand get bored.

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts

DSGs don't have torque converters, neither do CVTs, both of which are automatic transmissions.

Picky picky. I'm not even sure what a DSG is but I know the Nissan abomination know as a CVT is about as far from an automatic transmission as a wankel rotary engine is from a four stroke.

Not to mention, when CVT's break they are not fixed but replaced - or fixed for a small fortune ... hence making the replacement option that much more appealing.

After a brief search I found the following. There are many, many more stories like this one about CVT's.

• Universal serious problem with the CVT transmission and Transfer Plate which costs $4-6000 to replace when it cracks or fails, which usually occurs [around] 65,000 or so miles.
  • Nissan claims it is the consumer's fault because the tranny is not replaced with new fluid (cost $600) every 30,000 miles, yet, as owners state, the manual makes no mention of this at all.
  • Here's one from an AUDI forum: "Yea. My A4 04 has 77,000 miles on it and my transmission just blew out."
http://perrya.hubpages.com/hub/Nissan-Refuses-to-Recall-Murano-Despite-Major-CVT-Problems

I don't mean to sound harsh, but, as you can tell. I have no love for CVT transmissions. :D

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
DSGs dont have torque converters, neither do CVTs, both of which are automatic transmissions.

I dont like when my left foot and right hand get bored.

A Continuously Variable Transmission is not the same as Automatic .. there are no Gears, hence no "automatic" shifting - no shifting at all. Have you ever driven a CVT ?? The RPM's go up and stay there, then your car slowly starts moving. They accomplish this by using plates that move in and out which creates different pulley ratio's, hence the Variable nametag and "infinate" gears. No torque multiplication without a Torque converter so your little import engine has even less torque than the average.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I command manual downshifts every day. I'm surprised my O/D light has not burned out yet. lol My 4r70w responds pretty quickly when I need it to downshift. I don't even have any tuning done to the PCM yet. My 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts are really quick. I would like to think I shift my T-5 equipped Mustang as fast, but I know I can't. I'm really good at driving a stick. Good enough to not even need a clutch after 1st gear.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Picky picky. I'm not even sure what a DSG is but I know the Nissan abomination know as a CVT is about as far from an automatic transmission as a wankel rotary engine is from a four stroke.

Not to mention, when CVT's break they are not fixed but replaced - or fixed for a small fortune ... hence making the replacement option that much more appealing.

After a brief search I found the following. There are many, many more stories like this one about CVT's.

• Universal serious problem with the CVT transmission and Transfer Plate which costs $4-6000 to replace when it cracks or fails, which usually occurs [around] 65,000 or so miles.
  • Nissan claims it is the consumer's fault because the tranny is not replaced with new fluid (cost $600) every 30,000 miles, yet, as owners state, the manual makes no mention of this at all.
  • Here's one from an AUDI forum: "Yea. My A4 04 has 77,000 miles on it and my transmission just blew out."
http://perrya.hubpages.com/hub/Nissan-Refuses-to-Recall-Murano-Despite-Major-CVT-Problems

I don't mean to sound harsh, but, as you can tell. I have no love for CVT transmissions. :D
A Continuously Variable Transmission is not the same as Automatic .. there are no Gears, hence no "automatic" shifting - no shifting at all. Have you ever driven a CVT ?? The RPM's go up and stay there, then your car slowly starts moving. They accomplish this by using plates that move in and out which creates different pulley ratio's, hence the Variable nametag and "infinate" gears. No torque multiplication without a Torque converter so your little import engine has even less torque than the average.
Well besides CVTs there are DSGs (Dual Clutch Automatics) that do not have torque converters and can have very fast shifts. The new Ford automatics are dual clutch automatics rather than torque converter autos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_PowerShift_transmission

1 - 20 of 27 Posts