TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent my Sunday changing the transmission filter. All in all, that task was teadious, but worth it. Car runs smoother now. Used the Mercon V as recommended, but should have used the Max Life ATF for higher milage cars. Next time. Next the brakes need to be done. Moving right along:ztoohot:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll see your filter and raise you a trans cooler and shift kit... :tongue:

Now, I can finally do a decent burnout!

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I see all of your guys's and raise you a new mark8 tranny with torque converter WOO HOO!
-Thomas

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK, since you asked.... :tongue:

This weekend, I replaced my radiator, upper and lower hoses, water pump, thermostat, and converted from the stock clutch fan to an electric fan with an electronic thermostat, in addition to the aforementioned trans cooler and shift kit/new filter installation.

Oh, and I put a drain plug in the trans pan, too.

The hardest part, oddly enough, was finding the right radiator hoses. Well, if you don't count searching the street for the tiny retaining clip that shot out of the valve body as I was disassembling it...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Roy Batty said:
Just spent my Sunday changing the transmission filter. All in all, that task was teadious, but worth it. Car runs smoother now. Used the Mercon V as recommended, but should have used the Max Life ATF for higher milage cars. Next time. Next the brakes need to be done. Moving right along:ztoohot:
Do not use Max life ATF

Only use Mercon V tranny fluid

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JoelBender said:

Do not use Max life ATF

I'll make a note of that.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Hah! wussy stuff.

DPFE sensor on a 94 4.6 without pulling the engine or at least the manifold off of the car!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
HAH!

Upper control arms without breaking off the flags!

And you have not yet tried to remove the fuel lines between the filter, and the rail have you? That one is a PITA.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
JoelBender said:
Upper control arms without breaking off the flags!
At least you can get something in there without breaking off the flags. Need I remind you the DPFE on the 94/95 is behind the plenum, with the main engine harness going over the top of it and the firewall less than an inch away?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Rebuilt a 350 Chevy, pulled a cylinder head off an '80's Honda Accord (don't laugh, you haven't seen vacuum lines until you've been under the hood of this car), and changed all the valves, cams, and springs into a new Cobra head to replace a cracked head.

Last weekend:

JMod on a OSUTbird's car
Spring and shock replacement on Wes's car
Helped put on a heat blend door actuator on WKenneth's Mark VIII, what a PITA!!!!

Next weekend:

Put the head back on the Honda
shock/ spring replacement on my car
lower control arms also
hopefully I'll have nice new pistons to start putting the Cobra back together.

·
8,978 Posts
I got you all beat. I just built a tbird starting with just the mn12 chassis. HAH! EAT IT!
-Thomas

EDIT: Okay it was plastic and 1:25 the actualy size...but still! Tiny pieces suck!

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Thomas said:
I see all of your guys's and raise you a new mark8 tranny with torque converter WOO HOO!
-Thomas
hehe my mark8 came with a mark8 tranny :D

·
8,978 Posts
Fubarian said:

hehe my mark8 came with a mark8 tranny :D
but mine's newer by 2 years. Hey since you're a mark owner, any idea what the difference is with the PKE part number on the tranny?
-Thomas

·
Registered
460 Posts
see all of your guys's and raise you a new mark8 tranny with torque converter WOO HOO!
Bahh!! I was only a few bolts and wires away from pulling mine last weekend. Had to replace the gasket on the extension housing. I mean dam pulling out the exaust, dropping the gas tank, and pulling the driveshaft should net you an award or somthing? :D

Hopefully when I get around to putting in a mark tranny there will be a DOHC attached to it. :cool:

And while you should stick with merc V the max life is still good stuff. Have to tell my self that because I can't find any merc V in Hattiesburg, except for the cheap stuff at Wallmart. :confused:

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Thomas said:
but mine's newer by 2 years. Hey since you're a mark owner, any idea what the difference is with the PKE part number on the tranny?
-Thomas
by two years? You got a 98 bird?? :D :D :D

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
JoelBender said:

Do not use Max life ATF

even though your transmission might be old, to squeeze more miles out of it, it is entirely worth it to do an auxillary transmission cooler... someone can verify, but i think for every 10 degrees colder, it comes out to about 10,000 miles more life for a transmission. -greg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts