TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to change the trans filter on my son's '96 Cougar. Every store is trying to sell me the same filter, with an inch-long pickup extension on the bottom. But the one in the car does not have the extension. I finally tried putting a new one in, but the pickup holds the pan almost an inch from the tranny. What's up with that? Anyone else seen this problem?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I'm trying to change the trans filter on my son's '96 Cougar. Every store is trying to sell me the same filter, with an inch-long pickup extension on the bottom. But the one in the car does not have the extension. I finally tried putting a new one in, but the pickup holds the pan almost an inch from the tranny. What's up with that? Anyone else seen this problem?
There are two filters.
The newer transmission pan extends lower where the pickup fits to minimize pickup starvation issues during hard cornering.

I have an extra (unused) ATF filter (needed to buy it b/c I needed a gasket during my JMOD and the local auto shop only had the filter + gasket as a kit)
Check your PM.
Regards,
-g

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,435 Posts
Gunn is correct; the pans through the end of the 95 model year were flat on the bottom. This caused fluid starvation in sharp right turns on these vehicles, so for 1996 Ford added a "dimple" at the bottom of the pan (known as the deep sump pans) and extended the pickup for the filter to reach into this sump.

You can purchase the old style filters from rockauto.com or from the Ford parts counter here on the forums, however it would be best to simply upgrade to the deep sump pan and use the newer style filter.

I am confused however, as to why your 96 would have the old style pan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts