TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the tech articles, but want to make sure before I plunge in to flush the trans on my 94 cougar, 4.6, this weekend. Should I put in the Mercon V or stick with the Merc III?

The trans has been rebuild once, has about 20k on the rebuild. The rebuilder put in a shift kit, wish I had known about the j-mod at that time, would have printed it up for the trans man.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
From what i'e read everyone else post Merc V is a hell of a lot better the III,thats all i use and i've enver had a problem

·
Registered
306 Posts
From what I understand, the Mercon V fluid is a synthetic blend and stands up to heat better than the older fluids. This is very important for the clutches in the torque converter, not just the transmission. You can renew the tranny, but the converter has to be replaced or rebuilt by an expert with a lot of high dollar equipment. The only down side to this is the higher cost and spotty availability of the fluid.

Do NOT use this fluid in any other transmission other than the AOD-E and 4R70W.
It will cause seal failure over time. (i.e Taurus.)

FWIW,
Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. The reason I hesitate to go to Mercon V is this part of the tech article about Merc V and its compatability with seals in the earlier transmissions like my '94:

96 and up T-Birds & Cougars with the 4R70W use Mercon V. It can be used in the '94-'95 cars, but it is not recommended by Ford. Mercon-V is a
semi-synthetic ATF, introduced in 1997 for use in vehicles equipped with the 4R44E or 5R55E transmissions. The '98 model year 4R70W transmission, AX4S and AX4N transaxles use Mercon-V.

TSB-98-8-8 states: "Mercon-V is not interchangeable with the current Mercon service fluids. Using the incorrect fluid may cause transmission or translate concerns."

When asked why? Ford responded, "The synthetics work their way past seals and cause leaks and/or durability concerns". "The 1998 transmission seals are updated to prevent these problems" - Dayton Ford Service Technician.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The reason I hesitate to go to Mercon V is this part of the tech article about Merc V and its compatability with seals in the earlier transmissions like my '94:
Interesting point. Even Ford doesn't seem to be able to make up their minds which fluid to use!

For example, TSB 98-8-7 relates to Fords recomendation to abandon the use of Mercon in favor of Mercon V to help with longevity and torque converter problems. To quote:

ISSUE:
Vehicles equipped with an AODE or 4R70W transmission (refer to Vehicle Application Chart) may experience a torque converter clutch shudder or vibration. This occurs under light to moderate acceleration above 56 km/h (35 mph) while in 3rd or 4th gear or on 3-4/4-3 shifts. This may be due to temperature related automatic transmission fluid breakdown.

... (Big Snip) ...

NOTE:
FLUIDS LABELED MERCON®V ARE RECOMMENDED FOR SERVICING 1992 AND BEYOND AODE/4R70W TRANSMISSIONS WHICH ORIGINALLY SPECIFIED MERCON®.

SERVICE FLUID RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ALL OTHER FORD TRANSMISSIONS AND/OR POWER STEERING REMAINS UNCHANGED.

8. Refill transmission with the proper amount of Motorcraft MERCON®V (XT-5-QM) or equivalent.

I haven't read your referenced TSB, but another issued as TSB 01-15-7 again vacillates, stating that MERCON is the fluid to be used.

Perhaps part of this confusion stems from the fact that the two fluids are NOT
interMIXable. In order to use the MERCON V fluid, you MUST completely drain the trans and convertor, flush and refill. The seal issue is probably NOT an issue to you either way, as you state that the trans was overhauled. Surely if the rebuilder used quality parts, (i.e. Ford or TransTech) the seal issue is moot, as the seals should have been upgraded.

So, as with so many of life's really deep questions...
No one really knows!

Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In our area, some places sell Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid.

Label says it is a synthetic blend that will work in:

GM specs Dexron, Dexron II, Dexron IIE, Dexron III

Ford specs Mercon, Mercon V

Chrysler Specifications

Interesting mix of stuff. Notice it doesn't mention any compatability with the Ford Dexron applications. Sells for $2.58 a quart at the last place I looked.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
To put your mind at ease I have been using MercV in my origional 94 trans since 50,000 and now 205,000 it isn't going to ruin your trans

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The tech articles have some conflicts and issues... we are in the process of fixing them at the moment. Mercon V is safe for ALL AODs, AODEs, and 4R70Ws. So all automatic MN12s can use it. 14 qts for a 94 should be enough to spare.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am curious as to what anyone knows about Max ATF tranny fluid by Royal Purple. I know their other products are supposed to quite good and have a good rep. Royal Purple advertises this stuff as being for trannys that call for MERCON fluids.

So is this stuff as good as using MERCON V, better, no difference? I have access to this stuff for a very good price and wanted to know if it as as good as the name, or is it better to stick with the MERCON V?

·
Registered
306 Posts
No firm evidence, but some advice.

I personally would avoid pouring anything purple in my transmission... :D

Is is a synthetic blend? If not you are better off sticking to the Mercon V.
Does it meet MFG warranty requirements for Mercon V applications?
Does the MFG give you any realistic information about breakdown or viscocity changes at high temps? How does it compare to Mercon V?

Sorry, no firm answers from me on this one, just food for thought...

·
Registered
200 Posts
When I did my Jmod and installed the 96 tranny pan and a trans cooler mine took 14 qts, if your not going to a higher capacity pan and cooler about 12 1/2 qts will do you. The chiltons say capacity is 25 pts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
GREGFL

Thanks for the reply, to answer your questions, yes it is a synthetic blend, so I guess that's a good start. I was unable to find a spec sheet for the ford MERCON V, I figured that would be the best comparison, since theres is the standard they go by for warranty as you put it, rather than other after market MERC V fluids. The link to the Royal purple spec sheet is:

http://www.royalpurple.com/matfr/matfr.shtml

Just click the spec sheet link at the top left of the page, hopefully someone out there has original spec sheets from Ford so we can compare this stuff side by side.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It does say replacement for Mercon and Dextron III - NOT Mercon V.
I personally would be leary...
I can get Mercon V for $2.00 a quart, in 5 quart containers.
How much is this stuff?
Or did you find a case of it when it fell of the delivery truck? :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts