TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Huh, lately my trans. has been getting up to around 160* during the late evening and at night. In the daytime (same type of driving) it nudges 100*- 110*. I realize my temp sender is not directly in the flow of the trans fluid, it is off to the side in a tee, so maybe there is an air pocket there...but as soon as my gauge starts climbing, I get out and check the temp of the inlet side of the trans cooler with my hand and it feels like about what the gauge is showing so I'm not sure how accurate it is. I will later move the sender either into the pan, or more preferably directly in line with the inlet to the cooler. But, my question is why does my trans get hotter as the air gets cooler? It only does this at night (so far!) so what gives?! BTW, it a mechanical gauge, and the tubing runs alongside the stock cooler lines across the k-member, and then into the side of my tee-assembly. As tired as I am right now, I'm going to go check for good oil flow thru the lines, and any suggestions you guys have will be much appreciated as always. Oh yeah, I'm almost due for a trans oil/filter change, so when I'm in there I will retorque the valve body bolts also, that will be the second time since the trans was installed.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I think it's got a lot more to do with the driving habits. You might think that it's stone cold beacuse most guages dont register until its well over 100*, but if the car was driven and then parked for less than 3-4+ hours there will still be some residual heat in the trans. It will then heat up faster and to a higher temperature the second time around even though you might make the same trip. There could be air in your system, but without seeing it first hand I couldnt say. I'd doubt it though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
No way air will stay in cooler lines, unless they are 2" dia.

I like to make sure temp sensors can't see heat or cold from other sources by wrapping them in something that will insulate them from road draft, etc.

Also keep in mind that the cooler inlet side doesn't necessarily represent tranny temp, since the source of this fluid is the TC, which is making heat like crazy when its not locked. Best place to measure temp is inside the pan where Ford does it, or the back of the pan if you have to stay outside.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts