TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a friend who has a 1995 Cougar with the V8.. They are telling me it is having a trans issue when it is cold. They are describing it like it might be starting to slip. I have not felt it happen the very few times Ive driven it cold. I don't think its had a fluid flush in quite awhile. I'd like to take it in and get a full flush done but am hesitating slightly, remembering all the old horror stories of once you flush it, it may grenade itself.

The car does have a EGR No flow code and a O2 sensor code that Im in process of finding a warm spot to dig into fixing it. I'm not sure if either of those could produce any similar symptoms.

Where is the best place to start??

·
Administrator
8,251 Posts
Drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. Might think about switching over to the 96+ style and and filter if he wants to spend the money.

How many miles on the car and how long ago was the fluid done?

Joe

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, no clue on either question.

Odometer stopped turning a long time ago. I am honestly not sure if its been changed since they owned it. 2008 or so.

·
Administrator
8,251 Posts
I would skip the flush and drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. The flush might turn into one of those horror stories you mentioned! :eek:

Joe

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha.

I think Ill start there. Maybe a can of the Seafoam trans tune in with it. and maybe change the filter and fluid again in 6 months.

It definitely only acts funny when its stone cold. Drives totally fine once warmed up.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
That sounds like a worn pump to me, I have a van that does that and I've seen it in the past.

Let us know if the fluid/filter change helps!

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,576 Posts
Change to the deep sump pan and filter. My Cougar did the same thing until I went with the newer pan. Fluid starvation is the cause.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Change to the deep sump pan and filter. My Cougar did the same thing until I went with the newer pan. Fluid starvation is the cause.
Where would I order a deep sump pan from?? Do you think that would fix the issue completely. Kind of on a tight budget on this one. Figure If i am gonna drop the pan for a fluid/filter change anyway. It can't hurt if the pan is reasonably priced.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,576 Posts
New from Ford the pan and filter are less than $50 together.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I can usually get used pans pretty cheap and the filter I get cheap too. As long as I can get one I can get both shipped to you for that. Ford is strange one day you order somethign and it is $35 the next day it is $90 and a few months later it is $20. Sometimes Ford prices are impossible to beat.
Alan

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I can usually get used pans pretty cheap and the filter I get cheap too. As long as I can get one I can get both shipped to you for that. Ford is strange one day you order somethign and it is $35 the next day it is $90 and a few months later it is $20. Sometimes Ford prices are impossible to beat.
Alan
Ford dealership in Perry, Florida charges 69.00 for a 4 wheel alignment. Every other place charges close to $100 around here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all,

I've yet to get a chance and experience this problem for myself, Alan, as soon as I figure out my course of action, I will let you know on that pan and filter.

Could a No Flow EGR code, possibly make the car chug or feel anything like a trans slipping a little??? Im dealing with a very rough description of the problem but I know what codes came up on my scanner.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Alan,

This makes me wonder because it was decribed as a bucking feeling, much worse when the car is cold... I gotta rip that EGR apart ASAP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts