TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing acts funny. 1997 Bird 4.6 80,000 miles. Thing shifts very nice and firm but this happened to me a few times. Just recently I slowed down for someone turning put it to the floor(wot) thing just free reved then jumped into gear(burning rubber of course). Think it's time for a rebuild? Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
This thing acts funny. 1997 Bird 4.6 80,000 miles. Thing shifts very nice and firm but this happened to me a few times. Just recently I slowed down for someone turning put it to the floor(wot) thing just free reved then jumped into gear(burning rubber of course). Think it's time for a rebuild? Any suggestions?

Thanks
how fast were you going? WOT od to 2nd gear shifts and WOT od shifts are very bad for these transmissions. Have you checked the trans fluid?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slow. By the time the person turned I was probably 10 or so mph then opened him up. Fluid seems to be up to par. Did a trans flush & cooler around 65 or so miles. Did it a couple times after the flush when I lived in az. I'm kinda leaning toward the fluid/ filter change did damage.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,578 Posts
Probably a shot roller clutch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise guys. Gonna try to tackle it this weekend if I have time. If it is the trans going bye bye I'm debating on rebuilding it or switching it over to manual!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Thats an easy way to spend 5 gran!
Everybody seems to come up with that idea, a late model transmission is so much easier to do and a good converter will deliver better performance.
Alan

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
You said you did a flush and filter change a short time ago. Are you sure the new filter is installed correctly and that there aren't two filter o-rings (like the old one stayed in the valve body)?

Just a thought.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input guys. It is greatly appreciated. Good point dirtydOg. I've got some friends in the junkyard business so that's why I was thinking manual. Yet a good build & converter was my first thoughts. It was about 2yrs ago since I've done the flush/filter/cooler. I made sure the old one was outta it. This issue has only happens very seldomly. Its like it goes into limp mode.

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
There's no need to spend anywhere near that much on a manual trans swap. With some searching, and doing the work yourself, you can easily get a manual trans in the car and working for $1500. I've done the swap as cheap as $800 by using a steel driveshaft and finding a good deal on the trans and other parts. That puts the cost of a T45 swap on par with what it would cost for a basic stock rebuild of your existing 4R70. If you would prefer a manual trans in the bird, don't be afraid to do it.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
If you can sell $800 bolt in no modification required manual transmission swap kits you'd be the most popular guy on this site. I built my entire car including tax title and license for under $3k, but that doesn't mean everybody can do the same. I bartered parts and collected for years to do it. Not to mention getting lucky finding a texas car in kentucky with a bad motor and trans for dirt cheap.
Alan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts