TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i was driving her to school Wednesday, and whenever i would come down off highway to a stop light, it felt like a positive connection... like the converter was still locked, and the engine would rumble and die. if i put her in neutral, i could idle then drop in drive and go when the light was green. kept doing that all the way to school and back.

now when i start her in the driveway she'll idle fine, rev fine, but as soon as i put her in any gear... D R 2 1... doesn't matter she dies right there. almost instantly, like the crank stops turning. pretty sure my converter is locked up solid. either that or the clutches are toast, and locked up.

i've already changed the IAC on the motor, and the MAF is working fine, dont feel any missfires, got newish Bosch platinum's and good quality wires on it(as far as i know the coils work fine). pretty sure its something in the trans, been making valve body buzz for a while, and I've noticed what i see as slippage, i don't think these cars should have to rev to 3k+ to get moving off a stoplight or keep up with other traffic...

but anyway, just looking for input on what you guys might think is wrong. if its a common problem or not.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Probably direct clutches locked but you could have a severe mechnaical problem in the converter. Either way I'd imagine both should be replaced.
Alan

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, that's what I'm thinking, don't really have any money at the moment -_- guess I'm driving my dads ranger till i can find a 97 trans and a good mark8 converter/flywheel...

wish my old 90 was licensed and had a working digital dash... :p

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Sounds like you got ALL the good outa that one~! - Some of these guys just wound them & they limp off but that was a Kill shot.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah XD ive been taking care of it, good syn fluid, sealed it all back up, cuz it was leaking when i got the car. i guess 132000 is just too much. OD still works :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts