TCCoA Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
What exactly does the mounting feel like and when does it happen? Is it something you feel from the seat, the steering wheel, elsewhere?
Well it’s gone away substantially after replacing all the mentioned bushings and mounts, but I still feel slightly. It feels like when the springs compress during regular driving or whatever, and they rebound I can feel like whatever it is that’s loose is jumping opposite direction of the car, you get me? Like when the rear diff has the bad bushings that sucker would be bouncing around all over the place haha. Like I said tho, I’m leaning towards the frame bushings/strut rod. Gotta save some cheese because I really don’t want to go back to a bushing n this area

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey fellas a lil while back I made a post about trans mounts and ways to improve the weak ass single mounting bolt. I recently came across the info that the mark 8’s have a mount similar to the mustangs with 2 mounting points. Has anybody swapped to the mark 8 type trns mount? I’ll post some links and pics for y’all to see what I mean. Included is SCP selling a solid mount option.
Any help?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Here this

transmission mount.

SCP sells something similar for double the price tho.

Also this !!

As well as this!

so now my Dquestion is this, would I need to find a mark 8 trans bracket to use Energy suspensions 4-1104 mount or can I simply remove my trans mount and put this bad boy on?
anybdy ever switch to the mark 8 style?
thanks in advance!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The Mark crossmember is a direct fit. don't expect much of anything substantial switching to it though, that "weak ass single mounting bolt" hasn't proved problematic for anyone pushing 600+ horsepower here and on SCCoA
I meant the upper portion, the bracket that attaches to the trans Because of the looks they are different depths judging by different photos.
I bet it hasn’t, in a straight line the trans isn’t shifting around like crazy. I recently put my bird on a lift with the fresh solid trans mount and by simply grabbing the tail shaft and shacking it around the trans moves quiet a bit side to side.
if anybody has pictures of their mark 8 trans bracket please post em!!

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
20,456 Posts
The tailshaft housing is the same on the mark 4R70w as on the MN12 4R70w, so there’s no reason the crossmember and bracket wouldn’t fit.

If the single bolt mount doesn’t fail from direct twisting force from a high power powertrain it’s not going to fall out because you take a couple turns. Don’t get too caught up in the bolt count, flex has everything to do with the bushing itself, not the number of fasteners secured to the 3 inches of crossmember below it, and not to sound like a broken record but it doesn’t appear to be sinking in, you do not want the trans mount to be stiff. If you have excess side to side movement it’s the motor mounts you should be scrutinizing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The tailshaft housing is the same on the mark 4R70w as on the MN12 4R70w, so there’s no reason the crossmember and bracket wouldn’t fit.

If the single bolt mount doesn’t fail from direct twisting force from a high power powertrain it’s not going to fall out because you take a couple turns. Don’t get too caught up in the bolt count, flex has everything to do with the bushing itself, not the number of fasteners secured to the 3 inches of crossmember below it, and not to sound like a broken record but it doesn’t appear to be sinking in, you do not want the trans mount to be stiff. If you have excess side to side movement it’s the motor mounts you should be scrutinizing.
Yea no worries you ain’t a broken record , I fully understand that you speak from real knowledge not just what you think. And I do appreciate it tons, don’t mean to come off like an idiot. But I really do like tinkering with my cars and I’ve always felt that the only way to find out is to do it! Thanks again for all your valuable knowledge!! Are you guys engineers or what the hell haha.
I’m wondering why ford in it’s Infinite knowledge would change the trans mount from the thunderbird to the mark 8. I feel like they learned something off the plate form and used a better mounting solution. Same thing with the rear x brace the marks have.
Just my observations from here and there. I’ll gladly be the Guinea pig for all this stuff.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Also in one of the post it says you can use the 96-98 mustang trans mount, so that’s an option instead of the solid poly ones.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
20,456 Posts
It could be different on Mark’s simply because they were built at different plants (Lorain Ohio vs Wixom Michigan) and had a different geographical vendor for the mounts or the plants were specifically tooled up for one style over the other. Similar to the Romeo built vs Windsor built 4.6s, there are bunch of little things to scrutinize over which is better (jackscrewed mains, webbed cam caps) but in practice in the real world they don’t really make any difference relative to each other in longevity

I’m just an enthusiast, I don’t preach gospel by any means and I too learned by doing as well. One bit of wisdom I have gained from it is spotting overthinking when I see it lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
It could be different on Mark’s simply because they were built at different plants (Lorain Ohio vs Wixom Michigan) and had a different geographical vendor for the mounts or the plants were specifically tooled up for one style over the other. Similar to the Romeo built vs Windsor built 4.6s, there are bunch of little things to scrutinize over which is better (jackscrewed mains, webbed cam caps) but in practice in the real world they don’t really make any difference relative to each other in longevity

I’m just an enthusiast, I don’t preach gospel by any means and I too learned by doing as well. One bit of wisdom I have gained from it is spotting overthinking when I see it lol
Haha yea critical over thinker here. Thanks for calling it out! I’d really like for this bird to hang with these new cars and I’d like to do as much as possible short of seam welding this sucker up haha.

·
Super Moderator
12,212 Posts
Some of the motion you describe reminds me of the Tokico's and voightlands on the tbird; the variable springs on them required 'setting' the car into a corner, and I hated that. The sport springs are not variable rate, and I like them better.
My morning drive included a 90mph merge onto the freeway, across an off camber section made to trap the unwary, lol. These cars handle it like gravy; sport trucks, not so much. lol.
I'm not a guy you want to follow, lol.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Some of the motion you describe reminds me of the Tokico's and voightlands on the tbird; the variable springs on them required 'setting' the car into a corner, and I hated that. The sport springs are not variable rate, and I like them better.
My morning drive included a 90mph merge onto the freeway, across an off camber section made to trap the unwary, lol. These cars handle it like gravy; sport trucks, not so much. lol.
I'm not a guy you want to follow, lol.
Man you were cooking! The bird does handle great but like you said, the vogtlands do sucks, I can’t stand they went with a dual rate instead of one solid one. I have QA1’s up front and the 1.6” vogtlands in the rear with cobra bilstien a and you can totally feel the spring hit the second spring rate and upset the balance of the car. I’ve been looking into adapting a coil over spring in the pocket of the vogtlands to keep it nice and tight single rate.

·
The Parts Guy
7,913 Posts
Are you guys engineers or what the hell haha.
Yes. Well R&D Engineering Manager nowadays, but still a Mechanical Engineer in mind/heart.

I agree that there is nothing to be gained by going down this rabbit hole.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Yes. Well R&D Engineering Manager nowadays, but still a Mechanical Engineer in mind/heart.

I agree that there is nothing to be gained by going down this rabbit hole.

I will head thy words sensei!! Haha

in all seriousness, I’m starting to realize that the best thing to do to keep the great bird looks, it’s to build a tube chassis/suspension geometry for it to be aSERIOUS contender, there’s flex up the wazoo up in here.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts