TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the valve body on my 91 thunderbird 5.0 aod, with a performance automatic transmission street/strip valve body, now it won't shift out of first. It will go into park, neutral, but won't shift out of 1st when in drive or overdrive. Fluid level is fine, just looking for ideas of where I could've gone wrong.

·
Super Moderator
10,665 Posts
Replaced the valve body on my 91 thunderbird 5.0 aod, with a performance automatic transmission street/strip valve body.
I'd say about right there.

Who built the VB?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
You should still have some sort of manual engagement unless you did something wrong during install or they gave you a VB with a stuck valve, or you are missing check ball, etc .. take the VB back out, and do it all over again - or contact the seller of the VB for assistance. Only way to check the VB is to bench test or throw a pressure gauge on the trans to verify fluid is going where it needs to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should still have some sort of manual engagement unless you did something wrong during install or they gave you a VB with a stuck valve, or you are missing check ball, etc .. take the VB back out, and do it all over again - or contact the seller of the VB for assistance. Only way to check the VB is to bench test or throw a pressure gauge on the trans to verify fluid is going where it needs to.
Ok I appreciate it, I will have to call them monday

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Called them today, said it was most likely the TV pressure needs adjustment
The trans should still shift even if you disconnect the TV cable from the Throttle body completely .. although it would shift at full pressure resulting in premature failure eventually. Unless you goofed up somewhere during the install on the VB end of the TV cable.

Need more information ..

What did you do .. exactly .. during removal / installation ?

and more importantly ..

Why did you replace the valve body in the first place ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The trans should still shift even if you disconnect the TV cable from the Throttle body completely .. although it would shift at full pressure resulting in premature failure eventually. Unless you goofed up somewhere during the install on the VB end of the TV cable.

Need more information ..

What did you do .. exactly .. during removal / installation ?

and more importantly ..

Why did you replace the valve body in the first place ?
I replaced the valve body for performance purposes, I dropped the pain drained the fluid, removed the filter, then all the bolts holding the valve body. I removed the old valve body, then placed the new one in place, attaching the linkages as they were removed, making sure the small return spring went back in the notch it was designated for, then bolted everything back together, placed a new filter in place, then the pan and filled the trans w/ fluid. The only thing I can think of was I thought the TC linkage was closer to the valve body housing then the stock valve body, but the linkage moved freely when operated on the outside of the trans

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it back apart, I forgot two bolts on the valve body, reinstalled everything, still no shifting, I'm at a loss

1 - 9 of 9 Posts