TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had a trans oil leak fro a while and its just been drops nothing really bad. But this shop that replaced my crank position sensor said it was because my oil pan gasket was leaking, can that be possible? I haven't taken an engine apart from a trans to know for myself. The oil pan gasket in my car does have a slight leak nothing bad its been that way since I bought it. Its less than drops but it does seep out. Maybe the shop got confused.

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are.
They are confused you mean? I wouldn't doubt it. I hate to say it but they did do a good job on replacing my crank position sensor and recharging my AC but I wish I didnt have to take it there, and get raeped over a sensor. I learned my lesson in the past to only to to a shop as a last possible resort. THis was one of those cases.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Most liekly leak points cooler lines and dip stick., did we do a rear lube mod on it you may need to snug those, just a thought.
Alan

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No its not the dipstick and yes it has the rear tail shaft lube mod. Its dripped from only one place the center on the bottom of the bellhousing. Pending anything stupid happening this is getting fixed when the engine gets swapped so no more dam leaks. I have another question, I plan to drop the pan to swap a solenoid that malfunctioned, how much oil usually comes out, its a 96-97 style. Also the motor craft trans oil is the most expensive oil around can I drive it for a while mixing something else semi synthetic? Even mobil 1 is cheaper than the motor craft stuff. I plan to do a trans flush after the engine swap though.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
like 3-4 qts or so seems like could be more though never measured

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
... how much oil usually comes out, its a 96-97 style...
The pan usually has about 4 quarts in it,but it seems like I have overflowed my 5 qt oil change pan before; its right about there somewhere. :)

I have a 3' x 4' pan that's ~2" deep that I set my drain pan in when I start dropping the pan... :)

A "mercon shower" sux; If you get it in your eyes it hurts like hell. Wear safety glasses! It burns my skin, so I wear textured nitrile gloves. :)

The TC usually has about the same, iirc.

If you pull the VB off, there's ~3-4 quarts there.

The most I've ever put in was just over 12 quarts; but I have one mostly empty in my garage waiting to be put in that will take a bunch, I bet.

I've been using Castrol mercon V; it's expensive, but it works well.

When my tranny was leaking badly from the driveshaft taking out the tailshft bushings, I used mercon III to try keep it full. It's a lot less expensive, but prone to shudder. :zdunno: That may have helped end it's life, but I doubt it.

From personal experience, It will kill it driving with it low; so try to keep it very close to full. I'd fix it asap; I know how hard that can be, tho.

Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I still think it sounds like the dipstick is leaking, could be the linkage seal maybe. Pan leaks are unlikely but do happen from time to time.
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
They are confused you mean? I wouldn't doubt it.
Most are confused by dollar signs in their eyes when they see they can make $500 for an hours work.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I wish I were closer; I've done a bunch to these trannys...

Remember, over-tightening the pan bolts will make them leak worse.

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish I were closer; I've done a bunch to these trannys...

Remember, over-tightening the pan bolts will make them leak worse.
I check the level regularly it hardly goes down. Its like I add less than a qt every 3 months or so. I have a service manual as long as its good directions in there Im good. I was told the gasket is reusable but what the hell Ill change the filter while Im in there. Would RTV help make my first pan drop idiot proof or should I just use the tq wrench and be done with it? I have watched trans services done at a private quick oil change place many times, I just never did it personally, they went wild with permatex clear silicone all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts