TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have searched, and believe I know what needs to be done, but just to clarify, I wanted to ask before going nuts on the tranny. Got a 95 bird, and from a stop I can push WOT and it pulls fine, until it tries for second. Then I get the "shifts into neutral" problem until I let off of it. I believe this is the 1-2 accumulator, but want to be sure. I was contacted by Dennis R about this and he said to change out to Mercon V, check the pan for metal, and order a chip to my specs to straighten out the EEC. If there is metal in the pan, should I just assume that it's too late and I should try to gather up $1,000 or so for a good rebuilt unit, or just J-Mod it and get a new TC? Thanks in advance.

Jay

·
8,239 Posts
FordMan77 said:
and order a chip to my specs to straighten out the EEC.
Jay
Cmon, Dennis really said this to you?

If its shifting into neutral, I would replace the neutral safety switch and go from there. It is called the MLPS by the ford dealer. Manual Lever Position Sensor.

What color is the fluid? If it has more than 15-20k miles on it, then flush and fill.

Metal in the pan is a bad sign.

JH

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
JustinH said:

Cmon, Dennis really said this to you?

The 94/95's stock shift schedule sucks, but it can be improved with a chip from Dennis, or the other guys that burn the chips.

Maybe that was what he was referring to..............

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, Dennis suggested it. I was told to change to Mercon V, and get a chip IF there are no signs of serious metal in the pan. I do not know why he would suggest a chip, but all I told him was that I had the TC shudder and the odd 1-2 WOT shift issue, and that's where he suggested I start before jumping to a complete rebuild. From other posts, I doubt he would steer me in the wrong direction on this.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
on a 94-5 i'd swap the accumulators, they should be updated anyway. The mlps is mostly a 94 thing, though it's also a strong candidate. if neither of these solve the problem a chip wont do it either.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
He probably suggested the chip, because it improves the shift schedule.

My 95 shifted way too early, and I could get into OD going uphill at 35 mph. Always felt like the engine was lugging.

With the Dennis chip, the tranny shifts at higher rpms. The tranny shop that did the J-Mod felt that it now shifted at the right moments.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does seem to shift way too early when driven at a normal pace, so I guess that is why he suggested it. I am going to drop the '03 Cobra rad. and a 24,000 GVM B&M cooler in that I just got and then change the fluid to find out. Glad I have a $350 side job coming up in April. I will be ordering a chip regardless of what the tranny looks like (good or bad), I would just like to get this sorted out ahead of time to avoid shelling out money for stuff I don't need if the trans. is indeed cooked.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Fordman: When you hit 2nd, torque is taken by the infamous interim one-way roller sprag clutch, and my bet is that this is slipping under WOT torque. Keep doing this, and it will fail with chunks.

Don't know how many times I've seen this, but there is no way the MLPS can neutral out the tranny if the manual valve isn't moved. It might fool the PCM into dropping pressure all the way back to 65 psi, which would make for a massive slip under power, but you would still be in gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts