TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.I posted it on an avenger/sebring forum but figured i'd ask around here too.Car is a 97 chrysler sebring lxi 2.5

I've had this car since august and got it for 100 bucks from a friend of mine. Ive been fixing a few problems with it here and there and the more i fix the more things break. anyways i knew the drivers side ball joint was junk and just got around to replacing it last night. To get at the bolt that was actually on the ball joint i pretty much removed everything taking the knuckle off the car.I also knew that the boots were torn on the axle so while i had it all apart i replaced it today. I got the axle in what at least i think is all the way and put everything back together and took it for a drive. The suspension feels great but there is a small noise that goes along with wheel speed. I drove it maybe 4-5 miles and everything was great i parked it for around an hour and drove home. As i was driving home when i came to a stop it would slip before going into gear but then would shift normally. By the time i got to my side streets it would be in gear but slip like hell (like a clutch going out in a manual car). So i get home and check the trans fluid and the dipstick is dry. So i added 4 quarts and take it for a quick drive around the block and it shifts fine. and i didnt notice anything leaking

My question is, is there anything that i may have missed when installing the axle? Is it possible that the axle just isnt pushed all the way into the trans causing it to leak?

any suggestions work. Its 5 below right now and getting dark, dont really feel like going out there without any more ideas haha thanks guys:thumbsup:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey guys.I posted it on an avenger/sebring forum but figured i'd ask around here too.Car is a 97 chrysler sebring lxi 2.5

I've had this car since august and got it for 100 bucks from a friend of mine. Ive been fixing a few problems with it here and there and the more i fix the more things break. anyways i knew the drivers side ball joint was junk and just got around to replacing it last night. To get at the bolt that was actually on the ball joint i pretty much removed everything taking the knuckle off the car.I also knew that the boots were torn on the axle so while i had it all apart i replaced it today. I got the axle in what at least i think is all the way and put everything back together and took it for a drive. The suspension feels great but there is a small noise that goes along with wheel speed. I drove it maybe 4-5 miles and everything was great i parked it for around an hour and drove home. As i was driving home when i came to a stop it would slip before going into gear but then would shift normally. By the time i got to my side streets it would be in gear but slip like hell (like a clutch going out in a manual car). So i get home and check the trans fluid and the dipstick is dry. So i added 4 quarts and take it for a quick drive around the block and it shifts fine. and i didnt notice anything leaking

My question is, is there anything that i may have missed when installing the axle? Is it possible that the axle just isnt pushed all the way into the trans causing it to leak?

any suggestions work. Its 5 below right now and getting dark, dont really feel like going out there without any more ideas haha thanks guys:thumbsup:
My suggestion is get a bunch of friends together, pass out sledgehammers and let everyone have a turn.

My mother had one of these in Convertable form and while it looked pretty nice, it was the biggest piece of junk ever. If it could go wrong, it did go wrong. I would think that if the axle was not all the way in, it would notice evidence of leakage.

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
my guess would be like you said, is that the axle wasnt all the way in the tranny and it was leaking/spilling out the trans when you took it for a drive. see if you can get it to slide into the trans some more, try a deadblow hammer on the end that goes through the wheel bearing/hub end. that usually gets them to seat in the trans.

on another note, those cars are suicide machines, always falling apart, and parts are too damn expensive due to its a mitsubishi eclipse with a Chrysler body on it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
parts for it havent been too bad so far,all ive done are front brakes both outer tie rods, one ball joint (stupid thing has 6 ball joints in the front) and some interior parts. but yeah im going to put it on the lift at work tommarow and see if i can tell what the problem is. with any luck i can fix it without taking it out again.

·
Registered
414 Posts
What kind of tranny fluid did you put in there? these cars take either atf 3 or 4. If you put the regular type fluid Mercon or dexron they say that it can ruin these trannies. Even the tranny fluid on these cars is expensive. I had a cirrus that just went to crap on me after spending a lot of money on it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hopefully you won't have any problems. At the jiffy lube here they put a friction modifier to make the fluid compatible to chrysler spec. My neighbors son has a sebring and put in regular fluid now he is having shifting problems with the trans. You can get that fluid at the walmart for cheap which is atf 4.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i got it on the lift at work today and sure enough the axle would move relatively freely. i got home and it only took me an hour to take the axle out realize there was indeed no clip on the axle,i ganked the one off the old axle and allis well now:D thanks guys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
all is well until the $900 distributor/cam sensor go out on ya. and yes they are made together,can't get one or the other.
i'd get the bird on the road asap!

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Chrysler= one big transmission/electrical/suspension problem. Mitsubishi= junky engines.

Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha we'll see how long she'll hold out for,the only saving grace is if i really need a discount on parts i can get them at cost through my work.

and as for the bird she needs more money tossed at her,its going slowly hah

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so.................... evidently a604 trans are prone to having the pin that holds the spider gears to wanna say guhbye to the trans resulting in:

andddddddddd its been replaced before!

tag says mopar and the red part reads chrysler corporation remanufactured transmissions

:zraped:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts