TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a Lincoln mark 8, with 129,000 miles and was wanting to change the fluid and filter if not flush it all together. my question is, should i with the miles?

and if i just change the filter, i was told i only needed 3 quarts and a filter

is that all just 3 quarts? i changed the filter in my of car and it was an AODE and i think i used like 5 quarts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Don't mickey mouse it. Drain the torque convertor, drian the tranny, new filter, new fluid (Mercon V only). With that mileage, it's definately due. And no, 3 qrts would not be enough. Closer to 11 0r 12 with the torque convertor.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Don't mickey mouse it. Drain the torque convertor, drian the tranny, new filter, new fluid (Mercon V only). With that mileage, it's definately due. And no, 3 qrts would not be enough. Closer to 11 0r 12 with the torque convertor.
+1 If you were changing the engine oil, you wouldn't just change the filter and add a half quart would you? If you're in there, just do it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just did mine and it took about 11 - 12 quarts. Don't skimp dude it aint worth it.

·
Super Moderator
9,359 Posts
129,000 miles ... should i with the miles?
It would depend on the condition of the old fluid. If it is burned orange or red, go ahead and change the fluid and filter. In this case 12 quarts (it might take as little as 10) of ATF would run you $40 or so at a place like Wal Mart (I have been using Valvoline MaxLife, $3.75 or so a quart). If it's brown... you might be better off leaving it be. I've read of fluid changes from brown fluid to fresh ATF that kill the transmission after a few thousand.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i agree any dark brown or burnt smell is better off left alone. Its always a gamble once it reaches that point.

Otherwise thats not a whole lot of miles i've seen higher milage with ok fluid it just depends on how it was treated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts