TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heys guys, got a question. First off I have a 97 4.6 closing in on 200k miles. So Im sure a Trans rebuild is due with the issues Im having, but I wanted to get yalls opinion. Problem: lets say its 100 degs out and Im headed to work(40 min drive), If I drive straight from the house to work I have no problems at all. but some days I will stop at the gas station a few mins from work. after restarting the car from stopping, the car starts to shift in and out of gear constantly, and I cant get the car over 50 mph. I can have my foot to the floor and the rpms will only go up to 4k and the car will hardly accelerate. so I get it to work park it overnight(I work Nights). Go to leave in the morning and the car drives great, like nothing happened. So Im thinking heat is the causing factor, maybe a switch is going bad? But Im being told by a mechanic that it needs a rebuild, wouldnt it do it all the time if that was the case? Anybody have simalar issues? Id hate to rebuild it, only to still have a bad switch or sensor. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
You're going to have to do a little more diagnosis. Check the fluid (with it warm and idling), check if it's full & pink like it should be. Have you ever had the transmission serviced?

If the fluid looks bad, you're gonna HAVE to pull the pan and see what's lying in the bottom of it. Since you're gonna pull the pan, might as well service it and change the filter & fluid (use Mercon V).

Check your coolant fluid level under the hood, also. Make sure you're full of coolant - the tranny cooler is inside the radiator.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts