TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, i have the 5/16 temperature manifold and it's hooked in the return line going back to the trans from the cooler. there is also an electronic sending unit in there from autometer to my gauge ( also autometer ). now my problem - summit told me NOT to use teflon tape in order to get a good reading. i have tryed this and all i can say is i had leaks coming from every hole. went back to using teflon tape and still no reading. they sent me a new sending unit thinking i had a bad sender. tryed it again with no difference. the unit is grounded through the manifold but i can't seem to get a reading. everything is grounded and working the way it should. so i went back and looked at my temp manifold instructions, and it said it needs to be pointed in a downward angle.... i have mine sitting flat on the front support brace. could that be mine problem???

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
I have the same set up with mine ( Autometer electric guage with the manifold ) and it's never given me an accurate reading! :(

Originally I had mine pointing up and barely got anything, then I turned the manifold so the sender was pointing down and got a higher reading of about 120 degrees and that was after 45 minutes of driving!

I think I'm just going to buy another guage and see what happens.

Joe

·
Registered
718 Posts
Could be the grounding point on the gauge,

also FYI ford and I beileve seen it at AdvanceAuto,, sells a special sealant for electronic sensors that contains aluminum,, its a red colored paste. designed to seal yet still ground the sensor

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've used telfon on my with no problems. The sensor part is in the middle insulated from the threaded part anyway.

And also like was stated you must ground the block for it to work.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used telfon on my with no problems. The sensor part is in the middle insulated from the threaded part anyway.

And also like was stated you must ground the block for it to work.
interresting!!
how do you ground the block? by using one of those holes?

·
Registered
477 Posts
interresting!!
how do you ground the block? by using one of those holes?
I took a big eyelet terminal and put it thru the threads on the sensor and then tighteded the sensor down turning the eyelet into a washer between the sensor and the block.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a big eyelet terminal and put it thru the threads on the sensor and then tighteded the sensor down turning the eyelet into a washer between the sensor and the block.
ok. and did that work for you? what i mean by that is do you get an accurate reading

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have the same set up with mine ( Autometer electric guage with the manifold ) and it's never given me an accurate reading! :(

Originally I had mine pointing up and barely got anything, then I turned the manifold so the sender was pointing down and got a higher reading of about 120 degrees and that was after 45 minutes of driving!

I think I'm just going to buy another guage and see what happens.

Joe
That actually might be a fairly accurate reading. My fathers 07 GMC has a trans temp feature and it never goes past 135 degrees, and around 125 degrees on the highway. :zdunno:

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
The reason I'm saying I have a problem is, it's takes so long for the gauge to to start moving. I just don't think it takes that long for the tranny to heat up.

If someone could come up with a photo of how they grounded the block, that would be sweet! :D

Joe

·
Registered
477 Posts
ok. and did that work for you? what i mean by that is do you get an accurate reading

Yes I would get all sorts of wierd readings until I was told to ground the block and from then on it works great.

It will take a few minutes of driving to get the trans up to temp though. So don't expect it to read 135F as soon as you turn the key.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
All kinds of transmission temp questions are popping up around the boards this week. LOL

The opinion of the man that I trust most on these transmissions is that the sensor should be in the line carrying the hot fluid to the cooler.

Just an FYI.

Darrin

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
It will take a few minutes of driving to get the trans up to temp though. So don't expect it to read 135F as soon as you turn the key.
I realize that! :tongue:

It just doesn't seem right that I will drive almost an hour to work and the needle barely moves.

The opinion of the man that I trust most on these transmissions is that the sensor should be in the line carrying the hot fluid to the cooler.

Just an FYI.

Darrin
That's where I have mine, on the bottom line going to the radiator.

Joe

·
Registered
477 Posts
I realize that! :tongue:

It just doesn't seem right that I will drive almost an hour to work and the needle barely moves.
Sorry didn't catch that it doesn't move for an hour, you may want to check the signal wire and your connections to the gauge.

You have grounded your gauge already right?

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
Sorry didn't catch that it doesn't move for an hour, you may want to check the signal wire and your connections to the gauge.

You have grounded your gauge already right?
The gauge is grounded, not the block. That's where I think the problem is. Can you get a picture of how you did yours...........please? :bowdown:

Joe

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ok, I'll try and take some this weekend.

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
Ok, I took a few pictures of my set up. Maybe someone can show me exactly where I need to ground the block.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Joe

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a picture of my set-up but I don't have any place to host it. If you PM me with your e-mail I will send it to you.

For your set-up you can ground it at two places but the one I would use is between the adapter and the sending sensor. You can also do it between the adapter and block but that is futher away.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts