TCCoA Forums banner

trans tread issues

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  BUCK 
#1 ·
hey having another issue with the tbird here, i changed my transmission fluid and filter, after installing the pan with the new gasket after a few day i noticed the car was leaking fluid, when i went to check it and took out one of the bolts the tread from where the bolt turns into came out to i'm not sure what to do about this and any suggestions would greatly be appreciated, the transmission works great other than the leak caused my this issue and am hoping that its a simple fix and tht a new trans is not required thanx.

bustedbird

#2 ·
The OEM gasket is reusable unless it is ripped or damaged in any way.

The aftermarket gaskets are not good in my opinion, many of them are even cork instead of the OEM metal with rubber bonded to it.

You need to drop the pan again, and take a look at the pan gasket. Probably replace it with a new OEM gasket. Also check the pan to make sure it isn't bent anywhere.

Then use a torque wrench to torque the pan bolts back on.

You will need more fluid also.

#3 ·
Since the bolt threads into the case, you will either have to tap it for a larger bolt and drill the bolt hole on the pan to match it, or try a helicoil maybe. Never stripped a bolt on a trans. before.

Sounds like it was either cross-threaded or too much torque was used on them at re-install. Def. use a torque wrench on those bolts. The trans. is the last thing you want to have leaking.

And as said, use an OEM gasket, not the cork junk that they include w/ the new trans. filters.

Jay

#5 ·
You may have overtorqued a Pan Fastener & distorted the Pan Flange at a Bolt hole or 2 - EASY to do with the aftermarket POS Felt Gasket - Give Pan a good look over & you can carefully reflatten it with hammer, file, etc... Again be patient & don;t destroy Pan - The good re-usable Ford gasket lasts a LONG time if Torqued from middle of Pan the out to fore & aft @ 100-125 inch lb~! - The POS Felt Aftermarket job strictly a ONE USE deal & only Torque to 70 inch lb - & Yes some Brake Cleaner is needed on hand at ALL times.

#6 ·
eh something tells me i'm going to be taking a pan and gasket from my parts car, thanks guys i appreciate all the help, i'm gonna be goin under it this friday or saturday hopefully i'll post how it goes.

#7 ·
Before you drop the pan and drain 8-10 qts good Mercon V fluid into a dirty drain pan, get a new or "clean as new" 5 gallon pail and hose barb that fits the top transmission line at the radiator and pump the transmission fluid into it with the engine running shutting off the engine when flow slows from hose. Keep this clean and then re-use it if reletively fresh.

Then remove the pan, repair the flange with hammer and some sort of flat edge or anvil edge, etc .... and do the thread repair with insert (they come in kits) and install a new factory fresh reusable Ford gasket and .... my book says torque to 90 in lbs, that's 7-1/2 foot pounds.

Or .... maybe just get a thread repair kit with the appropriate insert and tap from like AutoZone or OReilly's and repair the thread with the pan in place and worry about changing back to a FORD gasket next fluid change?

#8 · (Edited)
The "Marine" siphon Hand Pump at Wal Mart is easier & safer than messing with Rad Connections - With car level slip hose down Tranny Fill Tube & siphon into clean containers - Then Jack it up on Stands or Ramps.- $7 - I have a problem with screwing with bi-metallic corroded fittings on a plastic freaking end attached to an Aluminum POS radiator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.