TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 92 thunderbird(5.0) project has been leaking tranny fluid and I finally got to the bottom of this problem--one of the bolts that connects the transmission housing to the motor is missing. I can't identify the size of the bolt for sure. I tried taking one of the other bolts out, but gave up for fear of stripping it. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE JUST TELL ME WHAT SIZE THE BOLT IS?!! I don't need recomendations for getting the other screws out. I've already heard a lecture about the miracle working powers of PV Blaster--I just dont care. I would rather find out the proper bolt size without having to take another one out. So to summarize...what size screw do I need?...tranny to motor bolt? anyone? These forums have been more help to me than I can tell you. Can you help me out with this one? anyone? Thanks. and I love each and every one of my T-Bird brethren. ; )

T-Bird Joe

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I don't have the proper bolt size off the top of my head, but I do have this bit of info. A missing bellhousing bolt can't cause a leak because there should be no fluid in the bellhousing. That isn't the problem. I mean it's an absolute less than 0% chance that 1 misssing bellhousing bolt can cause a fluid leak. It's not even a possibility. There is no seal or sealing surface there since there isn't supposed to be fluid there for a seal to keep in.

So, if you are getting fluid leakage around the bellhousing, you have bigger problems. Fluid coming from inside the bellhousing usually means a leak from the transmission pump and that means that you are going to have to get the rest of those bolts out because if it's the pump leaking the transmission has to come out.

Sorry.

Darrin

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
7/16-14 seems to stick out at me. could be wrong. look on corral.net, thats where i have seen it before.

darrin is right, if you are leaking oil there, then a missing bolt isn't your problem. are you sure its tranny fluid leaking? could be motor oil leaking from the rear main seal.

dropping a tranny is fairly easy with the right tools/equipment. get a tranny jack, a long (like 3' worth) 1/2" drive extension with the right size socket, a breaker bar, and a few guys to help. drop the exhaust, unbolt the tranny lines and shifter bracket, a few harnesses, and lastly the driveshaft. mark the yoke and pinion flange so the driveshaft is installed the same way. get a big floor jack under the tranny mount and unbolt the bracket. slowly lower the tail of the tranny downward. grab your extension and have a buddy aim a flashlight at the top bellhousing bolts. once those are out, raise the tranny back up and set up the tranny jack. unbolt the rest of the bellhousing bolts, and the tranny should come free. you may want to unbolt the torque converter first and remove it with the tranny.

this is off the top of my head. im probably forgetting a step or two.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I think possibly the leak was from the transmission pan. I tightened all the bolts. I'm off to pick up my pay check and head to advance auto.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts