TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 ford f150 lariat with a sporadic transmission clunk, also winning noise at speeds 10mph and lower, sometimes when I'm braking, other times not. I've had the transmission rebuilt, a new rear end installed, even put a new pcm in it. New u-joints, New brakes and rotors, and it continues to do the same thing. I'll take it back to the transmission shop, they'll drive it around and nothing will happen. Give it back to me and its starts all over again. The only thing I could imagine it to be is either the bands need adjusting or the anti clunk spring isn't right. I'm at my wits end here because this has been going on for months. Anybody have any ideas what it might be.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
9,310 Posts
Was any of this happening before you had the work done?

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of the time its when slowing down, about 10mph and slower, 1st gear. It has happened when accelerating after you've completely stopped, but thats only happened once or twice. Whats funny, is the truck only has 120,000 miles on it, has never pulled anything. Then all of a sudden this started about 6 months ago.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,059 Posts
The later year 4r70(75)ws have a different style anti clunk spring. The newer ones I've seen break in half. The original design is a spring made of coiled up round rod. The newer design is a thin flat piece of steel folded in half, then folded into a V shape. I've seen them were the crease where it is folded in half breaks and the spring is half it's intended thickness. Maybe that is what you are hearing. I haven't read the TSB dDUBd is speaking of. But maybe that has something to do with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts