1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys have?

I found this and I might get it.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-514

Im just looking for ideas for installation. I think I had read that installing it in the return line from the radiator line would be best?
I am running pretty much stock other then a few things here and there. Im going to do the J mod pretty soon and adding a cooler seems like it would be the right thing to do while im there.

That kit has 9/16 fittings, I read somewhere that its the same size of whats on my car, I yet still have to check that out.

·
Registered
799 Posts
i've got mine installed on the return line.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Most of us "SuperCharged" Carolina Birds & Ponys have this ;)

Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler 40,000 GVW rating, 45,000 BTU rating

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
Someone was nice enough to make me a 3/8" kit to put my cooler in with. ;)

You want it to go thru the cooler first, then the radiator, if you're not eliminating the radiator cooler.

With the big coolers, it keeps the fluid from getting too cool. :)

~180°F is still cool to a transmission. :)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I can't wait to install my tru-cool 40,000 gvw cooler. Eventually....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I saw that Tru-Cool from Robs website, I just think it be too big and unnecessary for stock application. At least thats what I think..

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
I would recommend a stacked plate cooler over the tube and fin style like the one you have listed. Much more efficient and durable.

With my cooler on my J-modded and otherwise stock trans the temps usually peak at about 100 degrees over ambient temps when cruising on the freeway. E.G. 180 on an 80 degree day, 160 on a 60 degree day. I haven't seen more than 200 since I installed it.

B&M 70264; I didn't need any fittings to install it inline after the radiator tank exchanger other than what was included. I did get 3 extra feet of transmission fluid hose though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that B&M was the other one I had looked at. the 70264. I did not look deep into just because of the fittings issue. But if your right I might well just get that one. Ill go down to the parts store and see if they have one in stock I can look at.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I would go to your local Autozone and ask for the cooler they sell that crosses to part number 679. It's stacked plate and may even cost you less than that one by the time you pay shipping.

Darrin

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
I would go to your local Autozone and ask for the cooler they sell that crosses to part number 679. It's stacked plate and may even cost you less than that one by the time you pay shipping.

Darrin
I've used the 679 cooler from autozone on several builds. Its a nice cooler for $60. I have the big Tru Cool on my car and I like it a lot. Though they are around $140 now days.

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
I got mine off amazon, paid $58 and free shipping.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I got mine off amazon, paid $58 and free shipping.
The 679 is a little bigger than the B&M 70268. The other thing I like about them is that you can usually go straight to the parts store and pick one up.

For those who don't have a parts store that has one handy, Amazon has the Hayden 679 for like $63 with free shipping right now.

Darrin

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
The only time I ever saw temps near or at or slightly above 200 degrees, was when driving through the desert and it was well over 100 degrees outside....other than that...

Mine is a 30,000 GVWR cooler...it's a hayden. From NAPA.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Is the return line the only line you tap into for the aftermarket cooler? Do you tap in at 2 different locations as well? Taking care of a few odds and ends while waiting on a tranny. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
You can install it any way you want, the return line is most popular, however with a high stall you may need the feed line to prevent sending a that heat to the radiator. Some cases you bypass the radiator all together.
Alan

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
You do NOT want to end up like the dudes who have seen our Plastic ended Aluminum Cored Rads fail - It AINT pretty - I say delete the Rad Cooler PERIOD - I've seen some favorable changes in how my VCRM kicks in the Fan since I deleted the Tranny heat load fm Rad - Up North you'll need some kinda Fluid Temp Sensing Valve - I went with a brand new Ford P/N F4TH - 7A095 that I got new for $25 which is the optional Trans Cooler on the old Windstars but the Ford P/N has a nice bracket well suited to under Bumper installs on Mk's & Tbirds although it was probably in front of Rad stock (which I would NEVER do) - It's just a $60 B&M 70273 with a bracket - Compression fittings on existing lines cut at Passenger side & Hose Barb adapters to a short run of $3 a foot dude Hi Press line - & Yes this is one of the things you can shop to death on EBAY once you know what size & thickness your desired location will handle.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Appreciate the info Buck. I'll just delete the rad cooler all together then. Just have to pick a good spot to mount it now. I have a hayden 403 ultra cool that ive had for years and just havnt installed it yet its still new in the box.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts