TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to remove the transmission crossmember bushings to replace them? I am having some difficulty getting the original ones out. Thank you.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
My method involves using the weight of the car to push a socket through the rubber bushing ripping out as much old material as possible. I didn't even have to drop the exhaust. And to press in the new poly ones you just do the same thing. I used a cinder block and a racing jack. I just jacked up the car from the cross member til the socket shot out of the bottom and the car drops onto the cinder block. The car barely lifted off the block before dropping back down after the socket shot through. Went surprisingly smooth except I had a sore neck after it was all done.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Similar to Splattered's redneck method ( :D ) is to use an actual press and socket to remove the bulk of the rubber, and then a blowtorch and scraper to remove the remainder. Then press the new one in.

See this link: MN12Performance's Transmission Crossmember Support Bushing Install (archive courtesy of cintcc.com).

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I burn em out. As far as I know SCP is the only place that sells them but I have never tried to go anywhere else.
Alan

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help, sorry it took so long for me to thank everyone for their input, been kinda busy with finals and such. I got the bushings in, as well as the solid rubber engine mounts and tranny mount, and she drives like a dream.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts