TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled my transmission crossmember this weekend, getting ready to pull the motor and trans together. I noticed...well...my trans crossmember sounds like a Maraca Shaker when I shake it. Has this happened to anyone before? Feels like a few hundred rusted pieces of metal inside the center of the brace. And I have a feeling they don't make this brace anymore. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
So I pulled my transmission crossmember this weekend, getting ready to pull the motor and trans together. I noticed...well...my trans crossmember sounds like a Maraca Shaker when I shake it. Has this happened to anyone before? Feels like a few hundred rusted pieces of metal inside the center of the brace. And I have a feeling they don't make this brace anymore. :rolleyes:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h72/oxman64/Thunderbird/IMG_0632.jpg[/QUOTE]

I just pulled the crossmember from my parts car today and I'll shake it tomorrow to see if anything rattles, but I don't remember it rattling at all.

If you need it, let me know and I'll send it cheap!

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about drilling a hole in the bottom and shaking out the junk. Maybe I can repair it with rust remover. It doesn't flex, so it's still good. Wondering if anyone else had this problem and how they fixed it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
It's simply a weight designed to reduce NVH. :tongue:

It's easy to remove if you want to. Look closely and you'll see the metal tabs that hold the rectangular box to the bottom of the cross member. ;)

You guys crack me up with this stuff! :D

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whew! I thought I was in trouble there for a second. Thank you for the good news!

Time to celebrate and shake it to Xavier!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts