TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just registered here, just wanted to say whats up. Got a question about my bird too. The transmission doesn't seem to like the "passing gear". When I put the pedal to the metal, it should shift into the 1st gear, it used to, but now it shifts into the 2nd instead of the first, and sometimes it doesn't even do that. This isn't a bad problem really, maybe something is just unplugged? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Check the tranny fluid level and see if it is low.

Joe

·
Registered
811 Posts
I would try a flush and new filter. Start out cheap. . . . . .ok cheap-ish!

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I'm not mistaken don't the 5.0's have an AOD and wouldn't a misadjusted Throttle valve cable make it not shift right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Hughges said:
If I'm not mistaken don't the 5.0's have an AOD and wouldn't a misadjusted Throttle valve cable make it not shift right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Exactly it probably had a broken grommet. Fix it immediately or you will fry the transmission. The part costs about 50 cents.Look at the cable where it conects to the throttle body there is a little plastic grommet on it that the cable connects into. They are prone to breaking and giving problems like you are having. That cable doesn't just control passing gear it controls line pressure in the entire transmission.
Alan

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does this "grommet" look like? It seems like that is the problem because my transmission is fine.. heck , be nice just to get a new throttlebody..

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
i have done the tranny fluid and filter change. but how do u flush it? but about the tv cable......i got a new tranny in and it sometimes would shutter really bad when u took off. i think it was stuck in second. it didnt act right at all. here the tv cable was just dangling there. once i adjusted it i couldnt believe how great this tranny was. better than the factory one. that would b my guess too. does it hurt to adjust them all the way up? it shifts nice and firm but i didnt know if it could damage it.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
thunderbirdlver said:
does it hurt to adjust them all the way up? it shifts nice and firm but i didnt know if it could damage it.
yes that will fry the transmission. They are picky you have to adjust them with a pressure guage and a precision gauge block.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can one of u guys give me a pic of the throttle valve er whatever just so im clear about what you are talking about, im a n00b but im learning as I go about these engines, this is my first car btw.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
on the 5.0 H.O, the throttle linkage is on the backside of it. Look at the linkage and I believe it is the bottom cable. It looks like a cable with a spring on it, with a notched part sticking out the end of it past the grommet and a small square piece where it plugs into the grommet. It should snap into a grommet on the linkage bracket of the throttle body. They get old and brittle and break into little pieces. Since this is the only thing that is controlling the transmission and tells the tranny what the line pressure is, you will fry up your tranny in no time with it disconnected.
-Thomas

·
Registered
125 Posts
You shouldn't buy a new throttle body. You should just get the TV cable adjusted. It would cost way less and buying a new throttle body won't fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Okay, I don't know if you understand how expensive it can get if
your line pres. isn't exactly correct?!

It cost me around 2600 bucks to get mine working again!!!!!
So don't drive AT ALL 'til you get this checked...

My line pres. was 32 PSI and that was enough to fry it pretty quickly
and if you don't have anything adjusting your line pres at all
you'll fry every little clutch within 100 miles.... If not faster...

But I guess it's up to you...

//Per

1 - 20 of 20 Posts