TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 91 thunderbird 3.8L non sc....how hard is it to change my transmission filter and also how hard is it to change my valve cover gaskets also...i have a really bad oil leak!!!!.....

thanks
Jay

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,774 Posts
Tranny filter isn't hard, but it can be messy! :p You need to drop the pan then the filter is right there. I'm not sure what your engine looks like but valve cover gaskets shouldn't be too difficult either.....once you move a few things out of the way.

Joe

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright man thanks for the help...i just wanted to know what i was getting into befor i got started!!

Jay

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i put my gaskets on today and had no problems....only took like 30 minutes!!...next is my trans filter!

thanks to all that helped me with information
Jay

·
Registered
935 Posts
FYI On the trans filter...

hey when you drain you're trans oil and replace the filter don't freak out if a little white plug comes out. All it means is that your the first to change it out ever. Ford puts these in the trans when thery come off the line and then it sits in your pan till you change it for the first time.

I remember my mom calling me at work when she went and got it changed for me and she says...they think you're trans has a problem for they found parts in the pan..." it's not the most reasuring thing to hear about your car when you're at work. Hope this helps if you're the first time changer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HAHA thanks man so now if that happens i wont freak out.....

Thanks again
Jay

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,774 Posts
You have a 91. I hope the fluid has been changed a few times! :eek:

Joe

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have only owed this car for alomost a year so i dont know if it has been changed or not...

jay

·
Registered
467 Posts
changing filter helps shifts alot...

make sure you dont over tighten those bolts...can be disaterous..(or however you spell you got me)

it only takes liek 86 inches or so...and for you math people thats liek 7.5ft.pounds...but filter will come with right torque specs. SO DONT QUOTE ME!...hehe...and man when i changed my i was covered...only because i couldnt use my ramps cause of the groundEFX's...good luck...and wear old clothes...very very old clothes...

:D

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i changed it today and i got soaked also...my car sits 2 low to pull it up on ramps!!!!....but it didnt take me as long i i thought it would have.

thanks everyone for ur help
Jay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts