TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pondering about whether to do a fluid/filter change in my 94 bird. Normally I wouldn't have any doubts about doing this, but after searching and finding mixed results about whether it will hurt t he tranny or not and my brother just changing his fluid and filter in his car (C4) and then his tranny going out has got me a little skeptical. The last time I changed it was a little over a year ago, when I first bought the car. I have probably put about 30,000 miles on it since then. The odometer hasn't worked since I bought it and I would estimate it has about 150k on the clock. Should I change the fluid/filter or just leave it be?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yes.... change it. I had close to 50K on my fluid when I changed it. Dropped the pan, drained the TC, replaced the filter then refilled with 13.5 qts of Mercon V and it's been shifting MUCH better now with about 1K miles since the service.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah, CHANGE IT, befor it gets above like 50k, if it turns black and you cant see through it while its dumping out, your probably screwed. in fact, i generally change when its pink still, letting it go to light tan or still-clear brown... still not good idea. probably what happend to your bothers... to many people dont think about regular flushes on their trans, i wish it was as highly advertised as oil changes, probably save a lot of trans's in the long run.

if it goes "tar" black, you can leave it till it shrapnels and get a new radiator/trans/cooler/lines, or pull just the trans and start over.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My fluid is still a good medium pink color so I think I will be alright.

I am going to get this done this weekend, and although the tc hasn't developed a stutter yet, I am going to switch it to Mercon V.

For the first time I am going to drain the torque converter. I know I have to pull the rubber plug to get to the bolt, and the bolt has to be aligned with the hole. Is it ok to "bump" the motor by barely turning the key to get the bolt to line up?

·
5,650 Posts
Is it ok to "bump" the motor by barely turning the key to get the bolt to line up?
Yes, it's fine to do that, but you might have a hard time getting it aligned. There's probably less than 5* of rotation where the plug will be lined up so that the fluid will drain out without hitting the bellhousing. I find it easiest to just stick a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt and turn it by hand.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call me dumb, but thats the larger pulley towards the bottom center of the motor?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeez, thanks.... I guess I did ask for it.......

Thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts