TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i want to flush my transmission soon but im not sure what kind of fluid to use...i have heard a few things im just looking to get a straight answer. Thanks

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Mercon V

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
dont flush the tranny...just do a simple drain and re-fill...ive heard cases of people that flushed thier tranny and had problems cuz the flush breaksdown what was keeping the pos together in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
12,737 Posts
dont flush the tranny...just do a simple drain and re-fill...ive heard cases of people that flushed thier tranny and had problems cuz the flush breaksdown what was keeping the pos together in the first place.
If the fluid is full of black particles, don't even drain and refill. It won't work afterwards...The black stuff is what is making it work.

I've actually done this on two transmissions, neither one was from an mn12, tho.

Both of my Cougars had shudder; one at 60k, one at 120k miles.

Mercon V fixed both.

If the dealer is telling you different, get ripped off somewhere else.

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
And it is pronounced Mercon "5" not "VEEE". I read that someone on here asked the shop to replace their tranny fluid with Mercon Veee. I got a laugh out of it.

C.Hill

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have gotten it at Wal-Mart, Autozone, Checker, and Ford.

I have used Castrol, AAMCO (an Exxon product) and Motorcraft.

I will say that I have to start a couple of weeks in advance and get all of the stock from multiple stores. Usually find they have 4 quarts and nothing in back. Having two trannys that use the stuff, and 13 quarts each it gets expensive and tough to get enough, but no way I will go longer than 20k miles and no way I won't drain the TC.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Oh, yes, check out a Hayden Tranny cooler. I used one when I JModded my tranny. It is a plate type. A plate type is more efficient. I also put mine in the void under the battery. Works fine and no problems with stones damaging it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.