TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent posted in quite a while.

Last night I was driving along interstate 90 and to manuver around this saab that appeared out of nowhere I had to floor it.

My TV cable apparently detached. However, another symptom appeared: No overdrive.
When it goes into overdrive, it revs up high like it's in neutral.

I was able to get my car into overdrive today, I THINK. I accelerated to around 42 and pushed the stick forward into OD. The RPMs dropped like it went into [what i think was] OD, but when i put the slightest pressure on the pedal the transmission came out of OD and into neutral. (the stick stays where it is, in OD, but I can back it out into D just fine if I manually pull the stick back into D)

I can drive around normally in just D. It shifts ok, and perhaps is a little more sluggish than usual off the line.

:confused: Help.

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
Same thing went on my 93 lx 5.0

The tranny will go in drive.....well...its gos up to second and won't shift into third. When it is in drive, it hesitates going from first to second for a second or two. If I put it in OD when it gets to third gear the engine runs free like its in nuetral. I guess its time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only problem Im having is with 4th, not 3rd, not 2nd, not 1st, or Reverse. ONLY overdrive.

If that band is in fact burnt up-isnt there a clutch or something associated with it? Why wouldnt this be just a solonoid problem?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
misterPeter said:
The only problem Im having is with 4th, not 3rd, not 2nd, not 1st, or Reverse. ONLY overdrive.

If that band is in fact burnt up-isnt there a clutch or something associated with it? Why wouldnt this be just a solonoid problem?
Definately the OD band. Why isn't it a clutch? because the car has two clutches, one for 1-2 shifts, and one for 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. The fact that you have no problem in 3rd eliminates the clutch.

While your in there, you might want to rebuild to v8 specs, it will make the shifts firmer, and the tranny will last alot longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of taking it over to "speedy transmissions". Has anyone heard of this national chain? Any good reputations/bad?

Anybody in upstate NY willing to fix it for me?

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I'm not sure it's the same in the AOD, but in the 4R70W, the tranny uses the OD band to add engine braking in second gear. One way to see if your band is gone is to see if you have engine braking in second. If I'm wrong on this, somebody please correct me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I trust you. To fix the damn thing would be insane if the OD band is totally shot. I think im going to get rid of the car. It's been a nightmare. To pay out another $500 to this car would be totally silly. I spend $400 or so a month just to keep it running.

Im guessing the OD band isnt adjustable. Like, one cant just increase the tension and fix the problem.

I think i might drive it off a cliff or trade it in and get a 98+ Camry or 98+ Jetta. Thing is I gotta rip out all my installed crap, my big amp, my wonderful speakers, my favorite headunit, my lovely ignition. Ugh. Here's the downfall of upgrades.

·
Registered
659 Posts
its not a solenoid problem because aod trannys dont have solenoids...

they are not electronic, sounds to me like your tv grommet broke and your tv cabl is not connected correctly. This is a problem that causes od band and direct clutch failure if not corrected very quickly, 50 miles in some cases that i have seen.
a good auto parts store should have a new grommet in stock, TV cable grommet for the throttle body end, less that $10.
Good Luck,
Dug
PS. If the cable grommet doesn't fix it the band is already burned up, overhaul time....more than 500.00, i'm a trans mechanic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts