TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transmission indicator on my console gets awfully hot when the lamps are turned on. Can I use a less wattage bulb, like the 186 bulbs used in the upper brake lamp? Is it easy to replace the transmission indicator lamp?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Pull the console top off, open the console lid and unscrew the two screws on the console top and remove it. You'll be able to see how to remove the PRND21 plate and the bulb then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
PRND21 light-what did I miss?

Hi all. Newby here, not sure if I'm posting in the right place, so please be gentle.:) I decided to try to replace the PRND21 light that went out in my 95 LX. According to the 2 related posts I found, and some advice, it seemed simple(ish).

No problem removing the two screws from the end of the console top, unclipping the front and setting aside being mindful if the lighter wires.

-Or removing three bolts holding on the plastic plate surrounding the shifter. Carefully raised the plate the 1" allowed by the shift knob.

Now problem. That plate seems to be a unit which contains those sliders around the shift lever, the indicator windows, the orange indicator, etc. The light bulb is attached to the bottom of this unit- out of reach (see 1" above). In moving things carefully about, the orange indicator came loose :eek: and for a few moments couldn't get the key out of the ignition. Somehow got things back where they belonged (whew), cleaned it and buttoned it up. An hour, a moment of terror;) but no light.

What did I miss? Must the shifter knob come off? (ouch-that OD button and wires) Or does that unit come apart to reach the light socket? :confused:

Not a mechanic, just a woman trying to do a minor repair. It's my daily driver and only car-so I can't experiment too much :D . Have had it for 11 yrs, long love-hate relationship. Thanks.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
It's been so long since I had the stock shifter setup, but I think that plate with the sliders on it comes right off once you remove the shift knob. Look on the back and you'll see a large staple-looking thing. Once you disconnect the OD wires in the console you can just pry the staple out and pull the handle off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts