TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal. The transmission in my mom's explorer started acting up today. From a stop it slips badly, hardly moving. Once it starts moving, it still slips a little bit, but not much. I was able to drive it home. I checked the fluid, and it was low, so I filled it up with the same result in driving it. I'm assuming that it is dead as a doornail, but wanted to make sure there isn't anything I should check before I spend my mom's money on another transmission that they can't really afford right now.

Also, would there be any benefit to replacing the stock tranny with one out of a 99+ like there would be for our cars? And would the electronics need to be altered (repinned, etc.) like our cars to use a newer one in the explorer? Has anyone does anything similar before? Wiring diagrams?

Please respond quickly, because I can't afford to have any down time with this. I'll probably start taking the old tranny out tomorrow and get a low mileage used one on Monday when the yards open to put back in it.

Thank you in advance,
Rob Hammerling

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
one thing that makes the car feel like this is happening, is a dirty MAF, basically remove the two torx bolts, spray with maf cleaner or brakekleen, let dry, and re-install, takes 10 minutes...

you just need a tamper proof 20 torx bit,

i once thought my trans was crap, but all it was was a dirty Mass air flow sensor.

try cleaning that and see if it takes care of it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dirtyd0g said:
I'm not far from you if you want to bring it over I can fix it. I'm sure that will reduce downtime.
Alan
I sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to thank both dirtyd0g and Darrin for helping me out, even though I didn't buy a rebuild from them (though if it were in the repair budget, I would have, they definitely offered the best price). I got it all back together on Wednesday night.

I bought a used 2000 Explorer tranny with 34K on it for $475 and no core. I repinned the wiring harness (Alan informed me that this also worked on the SUVs; I wasn't sure) and it works great, contrary to what the resident transmission guru on explorerforum had said. He thought I would have to swap out the solenoids and whatnot to the older style in order for the PCM to control it. I'm glad he was incorrect.:)

Thanks again,
Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts