TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone recommend me a jack I can use for my 4R70W. I dont have a lift.

Something cheap is good, but cheap =/= crappy.

Thanks,
Andrey

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Harbor freight has one. They occasionally run sales and you can get it for 50-60 bucks. 450lb capacity. But here's the down side; you need a lot of clearance under your car with the trans on the jack. I believe the HF jack stands 8 inches with the wheels. It has a strap on it that's pretty useless untill you have the trans lowered. It also works great for the rear pumpkin housing. Probably would work for the gas tank too. Uses 1/2 drive ratchet to raise and lower it.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I used a atv jack for a year or so until i got my lift You can pick them up for about $60 if you have a sams club nearby.
Alan

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Since I'm generally working on the cheap, I just use a floor jack - but it's much easier to do when you've still got one of those old pre-96 flat ATF pans lying around. That dimpled pan makes things a b****. I use the flat pan just for that one purpose.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I used to set the tranny on my chest then use my knees to lift it while holding the tailshaft to line it up. It would help to have someone else lining up the converter and starting a bolt on a Ford. Of course now that I'm old a good 6 ft tall transmission jack is the only way to go. Ow, my back hurts from that Mazda 5 speed that I reclutched today. I still don't use jacks on aluminum standards or transfer cases. On a serious note whatever jack or adapter you use- tie it down with a RACHETING strap. Sure sucks when a transmission falls on the floor and even worse when it falls on you.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
That will work. Two things I don't like about it: I'm not liking the handle you have to pump to raise it. If you raise it too far now you have to fart around with slightly opening the release valve. The pad is flat. Which would be ok if the surface of what you are lifting is also flat.

I bought this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=39178

The pad is not flat so the bump in my 99 trans pan fits down in the valley. You use a ratchet to raise and lower it straight up and down.

It has a strap instead of a chain but as I mentioned before the strap is useless when you get the trans raised because you need the room to release the ratcheting buckle. But it was good for rolling it out to the car.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have the one like Al has, and I love it. Those attachment things for floor jacks are a PITA. Hydraulic is too hard to get the right height, and balance, etc.

John

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I went through all of this. The attachments for floor jacks are a PITA. I was really pleased with my $60 ATV lift.
Alan

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
dirtyd0g said:
I went through all of this. The attachments for floor jacks are a PITA. I was really pleased with my $60 ATV lift.
Alan

I just use the floor jack. I do have one of those attachments and I do use it for 4R100 transmissions, but a 4R70W is so easy to handle I never felt a need for the attachment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts