TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Tbird AED PI swap
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got another trans question. I would like to use the trans/converter in my new car if its good but with the solenoid code and seemingly low stall speed of a marauder converter.... another thread.

I have a then brand new built trans and a triple disc PI converter that has been sitting in my garage for 10 years, the converter is in the tranny and there is no fluid in either. I am wondering if I could just install both in my new car or if they both need gone through. I emailed PI they asked if there was still white grease in the converter, but they never emailed back after I answered the question.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Should be good to go. Why would they need gone thru? To make sure the brand new parts are still brand new?

Al

·
Registered
1997 Tbird AED PI swap
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to check for corrosion that could cause damage.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
You would have to leave it out in the rain or 90% humidity for prolonged periods to have corrosion issues. The trans is pretty much sealed, with the dipstick being the only way for air to get in. As long as it's stored inside, you should be fine.

Al

·
Registered
1997 Tbird AED PI swap
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You would have to leave it out in the rain or 90% humidity for prolonged periods to have corrosion issues. The trans is pretty much sealed, with the dipstick being the only way for air to get in. As long as it's stored inside, you should be fine.

Al
I live in NE Ohio 90% humidity is something we see, dipstick tube opening and tailshaft seal are just taped up, so not completely sealed and my garage is a pole building that is not climate controlled.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
You should be fine. I also live in a humid climate. To take it apart would be a "transmission build", but with maybe very little parts cost. So you could be looking at some coin, depending on who does it. It could vary between $300 to maybe $2000, depending on if it's a small shop or Aamco. For a guarantee, most shops won't touch that unless they go all through it. Then you're trusting their work instead of who built it originally.

I would fill it with fluid and let it go to work!

Al

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,170 Posts
I'm also in NEO; I wouldn't hesitate to fill it with fluid and install it if it was sitting unused and out of the elements. If it was never used, the parts most prone to any sort of surface corrosion otherwise (the scuffed-up clutch seals) would have no scuffing and therefore less likelihood to be corroded.

The only thing I could think of is running it for a few hundred miles, then checking the magnet for excessive metallic buildup after that time. Maybe change the fluid and filter?

·
Super Moderator
12,764 Posts
I agree; new fluid will soften the seals up, and it should be fine.
i'd drive it for 1k miles or so, and then drip the pan and see if ir's full of crap.

·
Registered
1997 Tbird AED PI swap
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.